Warmoth Soloist help (first build)

Fzau

Hey there everyone,
I always wanted to make my own custom guitar, and the time has finally come!  :icon_biggrin:
At first I wanted to build a strat, but there were problems with the 24fret extension and all.. then I ran into Jacksons (the Soloist) and I fell in love!!
If you could just give me some feedback on my idea's it'd really help.
I'm thinking about the following specs:

Body:
- Soloist carved top alder body (maybe AAAAA grade depending on the cost) w. LT345 flame maple laminated top
- contoured heel
- white body binding
- recessed original floyd rose routing
- blue, green or red dye (feedback  :icon_biggrin: it should be evil and shreddy, but tender at the same time)
- chrome original floyd rose trem

Neck:
- Jackson quartersawn hard maple neck w. ebony fretboard
- wizard back contour
- 6150 silver frets
- white neck binding
- 24fret extension
- trapezium, sharkfin (or diamond inlays that run from the first fret at the right, to the 12th fret at the left and further to the 24th fret at the right, you get it yes?) feedback maybe? same rules as with the paintjob..  :icon_smile:
- flame maple peghead veneer + peghead and back finish (same as the body's)
- compound 16" fretboard radius (like the Jackson Sl-1)
As you see, I want to combine the awesome playability of the Ibanez wizard back with the Jackson fretboard radius..

Other:
-  Gotoh SG38LC chrome tuners
- chrome mounting rings (if they'll fit..)
- chrome flat volume and tone knob
- chrome Schaller strap locks

The only thing not Warmoth's will be the pickups, DiMarzio Evolution in the bridge position and a Dimarzio FRED in the neck position.
I'm thinking about a three way-switch, but I'd like to have a coil tap for the FRED (I always dreamt about coil tapping a FRED in the neck..) although I have no idea how it should be done..

(tell me if I'm forgetting something)

Thanks!

EDIT: the styles I mainly play are progressive metal, trash metal, neoclassical metal, instrurock, shred, etc. My favourite guitarists would be Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, Marty Friedman, etc. just to let you know  :icon_biggrin:
I also might put a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and DiMarzio D-Sonic in the bridge

Well, I would say, look into the 6100 Stainless steel frets.  They are very large, and stainless is a great material to make frets from.  Of course you couldn't get the neck bound, but you have to try the SS frets.  They are just great fun.  I would also suggest Red dye with black hardware.  That is my personal opinion for "Sophisticated Mean" from the colors you put down.  Sounds like a fun build.
Patrick

Fzau said:
Hey there everyone,
I always wanted to make my own custom guitar, and the time has finally come!  :icon_biggrin:
At first I wanted to build a strat, but there were problems with the 24fret extension and all.. then I ran into Jacksons (the Soloist) and I fell in love!!

Neck:

- trapezium, sharkfin (or diamond inlays that run from the first fret at the right, to the 12th fret at the left and further to the 24th fret at the right, you get it yes?) feedback maybe?

Stop ! Scroll down to 2nd paragraph on custom inlays , where it says they're only so flexable with this option.

re: Design it yourself

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=inlays

great idea ,but you'll have to contact them directly and ask , or farm it out . so it's still not out of the question , but I seriously doubt
Warmoth would do it .(runnig right/running left) I know exactly what you are describing .

and welcome to the board :hello2:

kreig said:
Fzau said:
Hey there everyone,

Neck:

- trapezium, sharkfin (or diamond inlays that run from the first fret at the right, to the 12th fret at the left and further to the 24th fret at the right, you get it yes?) feedback maybe?

Stop ! Scroll down to 2nd paragraph on custom inlays , where it says they're only so flexable with this option

I know, normally I'd go with the trapezium inlays, but I saw someone's Warmoth guitar and it had the same type of inlays but with stars..
And you know how it works, if you see something you like, you have to have it too  :icon_biggrin:

If you can find a picture to post of that design you want , but  with the stars . . . bring it .

Hi!
Well, I've a feeling that this top LT345 will look to dark under a dye... just a feeling, know absolutely nothing about painting and dying, I would go for "surprise" one, but 3A (will be a little more expensive than the 200 bucks LT345, but perhaps nicier, confirm it with sales men)...

All sounds very nice!  :icon_biggrin:
(except DiMarzios)

EDIT: The 5A was on the maple, isn't? I understood as alder, what would make no sense (look WHO is talking about :laughing7:)

and it's not trapezium, it's trapezoid. :laughing8: the les paul type.

Patrick from Davis said:
Well, I would say, look into the 6100 Stainless steel frets.  They are very large, and stainless is a great material to make frets from.  Of course you couldn't get the neck bound, but you have to try the SS frets.  They are just great fun.  I would also suggest Red dye with black hardware.  That is my personal opinion for "Sophisticated Mean" from the colors you put down.  Sounds like a fun build.
Patrick

The suggestion for the paint job and hardware is highly appreciated! Good idea thanks!  :icon_thumright:
I've never tried SS frets, so I'd like to know a little more about them..
Thanks for the warm welcome and the help everyone! You rule  :icon_biggrin:

misplacedsanity said:
Do Warmoth still do quilted maple carved tops?

Perhaps they still have a blank or two in their stock, but I believe it would come four digits only for the top, what would not be very nice... but it's just a guess...

Update: to make it even more custom I'm probably going to have my own logo on the headstock (sticker), I'll post the design once I scanned it.
I also thought about a custom neckplate, maybe the custom neckplate maker-guy from this forum wants to make it, I still have to check with him..
Design will be posted soon  :icon_jokercolor:

kreig said:
Fzau said:
Hey there everyone,

Neck:

Stop ! Scroll down to 2nd paragraph on custom inlays , where it says they're only so flexable with this option.

re: Design it yourself

great idea ,but you'll have to contact them directly and ask , or farm it out . so it's still not out of the question , but I seriously doubt
Warmoth would do it .(runnig right/running left) I know exactly what you are describing .

and welcome to the board :hello2:

I've send a request by mail, let's hope it'll work! To make it even more badass, 1st - 11th fret running to the right, a double diamond on the 12th, 13-24th running to the left  :toothy10:

If I'm not wrong, they only do "right hand"... the left hand necks with shark inlay get it "reversed"... may be wrong...

First off, welcome.

I've built two soloists and have a Jackson SL2H.  My Warmoths are comparable in quality and sound.

One thing that you need to know:  Warmoth will not do the Jackson-style headstock (or any angled headstock) with quartersawn maple.  Plain, birdseye, or flame are your choices with maple.

Oh, and +1000 on the SS frets!

DocNrock said:
First off, welcome.

I've built two soloists and have a Jackson SL2H.  My Warmoths are comparable in quality and sound.

One thing that you need to know:  Warmoth will not do the Jackson-style headstock (or any angled headstock) with quartersawn maple.  Plain, birdseye, or flame are your choices with maple.

Oh, and +1000 on the SS frets!

Good to know it's actually worth it  :eek:ccasion14:
Is there any difference in tone between the plain, birdseye of flame maple necks?

Fzau said:
Is there any difference in tone between the plain, birdseye of flame maple necks?

Tone-wise: NO!
Only one is plain, on has birdseye figure and other flame (tiger's stripes) figure  :laughing7: (I know, obvious :doh: :icon_biggrin:)

NonsenseTele said:
Fzau said:

Tone-wise: NO!
Only one is plain, on has birdseye figure and other flame (tiger's stripes) figure  :laughing7: (I know, obvious :doh: :icon_biggrin:)

Flame maple it is then, I always felt a bit like a tiger....
lol nvm  :toothy10:

and thanks for the great help Nonsensetele  :icon_thumright:

Back