Warmoth satin finish

LeftyAdams

hi guys - 1st post - does anyone know how the clear satin finish on their necks is compared to the Fender US Standard necks? thanks

"How it is" in what regard?

AFAIK, Fender uses poly for their necks, though I could be wrong. Warmoth uses nitro.

I don't know what Fender uses, but what I do know is on their Standard line of Teles/Strats, the necks have a lovely satin finish. I have one so I know this. My question is how close to this is Warmoth's satin finish for their necks.

LeftyAdams said:
I don't know what Fender uses, but what I do know is on their Standard line of Teles/Strats, the necks have a lovely satin finish. I have one so I know this. My question is how close to this is Warmoth's satin finish for their necks.

How close in what regard?

Satin nitro feels more powdery.  Smooth.  Almost like a highly burnished neck.

However after playing a NITRO satin neck, it will shine up to a gloss just by your hand "polishing" the neck as you play.  I have also see this on a forearm contour of a satin nitro guitar.

I have found the only satin that stays satin is poly.
Save yourself a few bucks and buy the neck raw.  Then hit it with a few coast of satin poly.  Minwax works well.  Feels like wood.  Stays satin and will not polish up.

Now that is interesting. I still don't know how it compares to Fender's satin finish on their Standards. But that's very helpful, thanks.

I've got a Fender Tele neck with the satin finish on the back of the neck and gloss on the maple board. I believe they are both poly.

I don't have a Warmoth neck with their satin finish to compare but as its nitro it may feel different and get glossy over time.

Other options to consider are to buy a neck made from wood that does not require a finish, or buy it unfinished and there is the wipe on poly suggested or Tru oil which is essentially the same as Musicman use on their guitars. A thin coat of that has a good feel.

If it helps I prefer the Tru oil type finish versus the satin on the Fender.

yes thanks for that. I have a US Standard with the satin neck, and it feels so damn good, much nicer than a glossy neck imo, and this is what I am trying to replicate.

Most of those options should get you in the ballpark and you might even prefer them to the satin Fender neck for feel.

Have you considered roasted maple, canary, or one of the other lighter colored exotics that don't require a finish? They will feel a lot better than necks with satin finishes on them, and they won't gloss up with wear.

Yeah I did think about that also, it's hard to know what to do for the best really, unless I can see the different neck finishes in the flesh, it's all so subjective.

So I got this finish with roasted maple left raw and all I did was burnish it. Looks kinda satin. Feels so smooth and so good to play, although that is my opinion  :toothy11:. It is kind of a crap shoot until you feel it for yourself.
001_1.jpg

The satin finish on my Arcade neck is awesome; feels like there isn't finish on it.

Unfortunately, my American Standard Stratocaster is from 1987 or so and the satin finish is a bit worn and glossy after all this time (it has pretty much been my favorite guitar over the years).

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Warmoth satin finish.

I have both Warmoth and USACG necks with satin finish. Quality and smooth either way. Been a little while since I got handsy in a guitar shop with a Fender but I don't recall ever noticing anything in terms of the feel of the satin finished necks one to the other. Hopefully that is a good sign that there isn't a huge difference.

My satin finish became gloss after just a few weeks, so I don't care for it at all.

I don't have any problems with actual finished necks a la Gibson either, I never get sticky necks.

I too have a warmoth satin finish neck that's polished to gloss just from playing.  I'm also a convert to the raw neck and burnishing them.  I have two - one Bocote and the other Padouk.  I will never ever go back to a finished neck - raw only from this point forward, they just feel awesome!

I have a raw neck Cagey helped me with that he burnished and it is like glass. I'm sold on the process now if its a neck that can get by without a finish.

Back