Warmoth roasted body/neck guitar paying tribute to Chavel's Guthrie Govan.

Unwound G

Built this for a customer who wanted a Warmoth version of Chavel's Guthrie Govan Signature.  After completion, I find this one stands out more than Chavel's in most aspects.  The owner is overjoyed and with his playing skills comparable to Guthrie's, it plays and sounds as amazing.  I can't put in much specs here as the ingredients were chosen by my customer.  All I can mention is the body is roasted Swamp Ash and the neck is 24 frets roasted Flame Maple fitted with Sperzel locking tuners and non-fine tuner Floyd Rose.

GG%20Warmoth%2003_zpsvecnf7k4.jpg

Nice work.  Did you put any finish on the ash?

Does the roasted ash smell the same as the roasted maple?  Such a unique odor.

Suggested to customer that I fill the grains and spray it satin but he wanted it virtually raw except a few coats of Tung oil. He said he is glad he chose this type of finish as it slightly darken the wood to a really nice classic old look and feel.  Only thing is that it covered that nice toasted smell of the guitar, especially the body.  It smelled so nice to a point it's almost edible.

Very nice! Usually I like some contrast between the neck and body, but in this case the matchup is beautiful.

That's a lovely axe, great choices all around. 

Question about the neck:  Are the fretboard dots glow-in-the-dark, or some other material?  They appear to have a slightly greenish cast that I don't associate with MOP or acrylic.

Very good.

I see you recessed the non-fine tuner Floyd, I assume you did this as it is not a Warmoth option yet...

Is the Floyd on bushings or just using the screw in posts?

Bagman67 : Yes, Moonglow dot markers.

stratamania : Yes, I have to rout the recessed cavity as Warmoth does not do a shorter version for recessed Floyd Rose cavity with no fine tuners.  I have a few sets of  bridge mounting studs which neatly fitted the bushing holes Warmoth already drilled. For other's information, these non-finer tuner Floyds come with mounting wood screws only.

Unwound G said:
stratamania : Yes, I have to rout the recessed cavity as Warmoth does not do a shorter version for recessed Floyd Rose cavity with no fine tuners.  I have a few sets of  bridge mounting studs which neatly fitted the bushing holes Warmoth already drilled. For other's information, these non-finer tuner Floyds come with mounting wood screws only.

So when you got the body was it drilled for Floyd bushings with or without an angled pocket as enquiring minds would like to know: occasion14:

Sign the petition :)

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29003.0

@doubleA here is another example in this very thread :icon_thumright:

stratamania - "So when you got the body was it drilled for Floyd bushings with or without an angled pocket as enquiring minds would like to know:"

It was drilled without an angled pocket since I was going to rout the recessed tremolo cavity myself.  However, I missed out ordering the body's neck pocket with a 720 Mod so that the 24 fret neck will sit lower into the pocket.  I ended up deepening the neck pocket with a very shallow rout.  The job was simple using bearings stacked on the router bit.

Back