Warmoth nut selection on website

Ramblify

Hi guys, I’m new here.
Looking at ordering a strat neck - in the options for nut - drop down menu - I want a bone nut , what ones are bone?

Thanks

None of them.  What you see is what you get, and what you get is synthetic products.  Graphtech Tusq or Corian.  If you prefer bone, you're on your own.

Bagman67 said:
None of them.  What you see is what you get, and what you get is synthetic products.  Graphtech Tusq or Corian.  If you prefer bone, you're on your own.

Thanks!
Think I'll try the Corian. Not a fan of Graphtech.

Just curious why you don't like graphtech? Because I ordered one for my current project

Just curious why you don't like graphtech? Because I ordered one for my current project

>MOD EDIT<

Contentious comment deleted.
Please be tactful and civil at all times.

>MOD EDIT<

AirCap said:
>MOD EDIT<Contentious comment deleted.Please be tactful and civil at all times.>MOD EDIT<

Maybe I'm wrong, but my take on the question from Scobass, is that he is merely asking Ramblify why he dislikes Graphtech. Not in an attempt to condemn Ramblify's reasoning, but because Scobass has one on order, and is perhaps concerned that he may have missed something about Graphtech that would change his mind about choosing it for his project.....

Personally, I think Graphtech's TUSQ material is great. I use it almost exclusively. It machines/works/polishes/wears well. It's surprisingly hard for being a composite material. If you take a handful of them and shake 'em in your hand like dice, they'll tinkle as if they're glass or something, so there's little fear of absorbing vibration like you'd get from plastic.

BigSteve22 said:
AirCap said:
>MOD EDIT<Contentious comment deleted.Please be tactful and civil at all times.>MOD EDIT<
Maybe I'm wrong, but my take on the question from Scobass, is that he is merely asking Ramblify why he dislikes Graphtech. Not in an attempt to condemn Ramblify's reasoning, but because Scobass has one on order, and is perhaps concerned that he may have missed something about Graphtech that would change his mind about choosing it for his project.....
Yeah, pretty much this lol... Just genuinely looking for info.

Why hate graphtech?  Seems like a strange thing to hate.  Not appreciate maybe, but hate ...  :dontknow: The world's full of things to hate, but guitar nuts? 

Half my guitars have graphtech nuts, and 1/3 have graphtech string saver classic saddles with the tusq insert.  I like them because (for me) there's no ping after I've done some bending of the strings; they seem to glide smoothly.

Rick said:
Half my guitars have graphtech nuts, and 1/3 have graphtech string saver classic saddles with the tusq insert.  I like them because (for me) there's no ping after I've done some bending of the strings; they seem to glide smoothly.

Whoa grap tech saddles? Like the same stuff they use for their nuts? that's cool! It just goes to show you that we all like different things. a lot of people like The Beatles even tho they' ve never had a #1 download

Rick said:

Yeah, my yellow Strat has those saddles, and my current Strat build will have 'em.

The string savers are interesting in that they are not a solid chunk of tusq, rather they are steel with an insert.  I liked the solid ones, but I found they imparted a woody tone, and warmed up the sound, and I like my sound to have more high end, so I tried the string savers and got the best of both worlds (for me).  I got the sound of metal saddles with the glide of tusq (or whatever that graphite impregnated super hard plastic is called.

I never knew guitar nuts could be so divisive lol. I literally don't care if we disagree or if someone doesn't like them, doesn't mean we can't calmly discuss why we hold those opinions in an attempt to learn from each other. I was honestly hoping for someone to post a critique or comparison of why some other material is better, etc. Oh well  :dontknow:

scobass said:
I never knew guitar nuts could be so divisive lol. I literally don't care if we disagree or if someone doesn't like them, doesn't mean we can't calmly discuss why we hold those opinions in an attempt to learn from each other. I was honestly hoping for someone to post a critique or comparison of why some other material is better, etc. Oh well  :dontknow:

Hey scobass! FYI, guitar nuts aren't all that divisive, and "we" can calmly discuss them. There was a single person who was having trouble with it, and that person is no longer a part of this conversation.....so I'm officially sounding the all-clear to discuss guitar nuts in a safe and nurturing environment.  :icon_biggrin:

My main experience is between bone and GraphTech. I prefer the latter. I find bone nuts have a pingy tone that I don't care for, they are inconsistent in density, they need to be constantly lubed, and they stink. (so many punchlines, so little time.)

GraphTech addresses all those issues.

"My main experience is between bone and GraphTech. I prefer the latter. I find bone nuts have a pingy tone that I don't care for, they are inconsistent in density, the need to be constantly lubed, and they stink. (so many punchlines, so little time.)"

Must resist comments to maintain decorum and good taste,.... resisting,.... resisting.... resistance has damamageddd internal circuitry..........doing self dianosticcccc..... enterring mainteeenance mode........uhmmm......uhmm........... :laughing8: :laughing8: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad: :-\...reset triggggered.........................

Thanks for the reply Aaron. My only experience is with bone and synthetic bone (of which I'm not 100% sure of the exact material - very well could be graphtech) on basses.

The nut would only affect the tone when playing open strings, right? If so, I could see why guitarists would care more about their nut material. As a bassist I very rarely use open strings unless I'm sight reading.

That said, i do prefer the synthetic bone tone better, although ultimately I chose graphtech for my current build because I assumed it would be more durable and wouldn't need replaced for a long time. (No comment on the lube and stench hahah)

I prefer Graphtech.  Tone isn't such a big deal to me with nuts as I feel that they are so subjective, I just leave that topic alone.

I do feel that the Graphtechs are just more easily workable.  Some bone nuts are too brittle to work with.  I've never had an issue with a Graphtech at all.  I have some friends that use brass, but you are talking a lot of work to get setup to where you want it, and that is not profitable for a business to turn out in a production pace.  I would have to upcharge for working on brass to a degree that is not affordable to the consumer.

Back