Warmoth neck similar to Jeff Beck 1954 Oxblood Les Paul

W-Tig3r

Well, I went to a local music store and tried out an Gibson Jeff Beck 1954 Oxblood Les Paul. The neck is supposed to be a custom profile. Before Jeff Beck originally got the guitar, someone had sanded down the neck slightly as it was too fat. Originally it was a traditional '54 one inch club shape. Anyway, the neck just fit my hand like a glove. I couldn't put the guitar down. It was kind of like a D-shape.

I get terrible hand fatigue when playing my MIJ strat neck for a long time, and it has to get a new neck as soon as possible. Now I wonder if the 59 roundback neck shape would be similar to the jeff beck neck? Else I probably will have to buy a fatback or an boat neck and sand it down. Cheers.

Actually I think a fatback would be most similar to the jeff beck neck.. I tried a prs mc carthy, which has the wide/fat neck profile, which should be about the same specs as the 59 roundback. And it was too small for me.

W-Tig3r said:
Actually I think a fatback would be most similar to the jeff beck neck.. I tried a prs mc carthy, which has the wide/fat neck profile, which should be about the same specs as the 59 roundback. And it was too small for me.

the wide-fat neck is really a lot thinner than the '59 roundback. its more like the standard thin, perhaps a tad more beefy.

where can I find pictures of the side of a 59 roundback neck? would be highly appreciated! I'm still not sure whether it's big enough for me..

Get a fatback and sand it back til ya like it, maybe  :dontknow:
Talking about neck profiles is a really hairy topic because the "originals" were not often consistent, and different necks feel "right" to different people. It sounds like Jeff Beck got a fat-ish neck, and had had it sanded back 'til he liked it, so maybe the same will work for you...

im a total junkie for fenders modern C shape.

my old kramer 1984 re-issue, now there is one bastard of a chunky neck!

Back