warmoth/hipshot single string brdge

melodicly

Has anybody tried this one? I like the look and idea of it but am not sure about grounding issues. Does Warmoth do a route for this in their gecko 5? Thanks...
Dale

Sorry, not available in the Gecko series.  Different fingerboard radius and height.  It would be cool though.

You've got a couple grounding options.  I like the bar string retainer choice.

I used these bridges in my fenderbird bass.  I quite like them.  Regarding grounding issues - the low E and A strings on my bass are not grounded.  I decided just not to worry about it since my hand is always grazing the 'G string' anyway ....  :eek:

Am I correct that the TK-5 is the recommended bridge for the gecko 5? Will they do a route for the Hipshot A style? Thanks again...

mayfly said:
I used these bridges in my fenderbird bass.  I quite like them.  Regarding grounding issues - the low E and A strings on my bass are not grounded.  I decided just not to worry about it since my hand is always grazing the 'G string' anyway ....  :eek:

Your Fender bird has EMGs, which don't require a ground...at least the active ones.

I have them in my 'bird as well, and I'm not really too keen on them. They look cool enough, but with the strings in place, the strings blocks access to some of the set screws, you have to practically disassemble them to change string height... Since I used an SD active preamp, there's no ground to the bridge anyway. All in all, for the next builds I'm going back to the Gotoh 201 and modify those for string-through.

I have them on my project bass . in terms of grounding a brass nut is an easy option , just ground the one pre-tapped bridge.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
mayfly said:

Your Fender bird has EMGs, which don't require a ground...at least the active ones.

SD Basslines passive pickups actually.  They do require a ground - it is noticeable when you are not touching something grounded.

I'm interested in this bridge too but I don't want to try it because of the grounding hassle.  A brass nut is a good idea but I want to be able to use tapewounds.

You could as an alternative run a recessed ground strip on the backsided between the ferrules of the other strings. 
Just a slight rout with a dremel and then lacquer over it.  Piece of cake :icon_thumright:

That's a pretty good idea greywolf.  I would probably use superglue if I were doing it on a poly finished body.  I'd use a few strands of speaker wire.  Fill with superglue, sand flush, wet sand, and buff out.  Of course I don't really have the skill to do that without destroying the finish.  :p

It might be possible to make it 100% invisible.  You could drill into the wall of the the E, A, and D routs at a 45 degree angle toward the next highest routs.  Then run a few strands of speaker wire between each of the routs, and the bolts should be all electrically connected.

I know I want a gecko 5, and the single string bridge doesn't fit. so..... hipshot type A? suggestions, comments, concerns? :binkybaby: Will warmoth even do a route for the hipshot A? What exactly do they route for? I know I'm a little slow but I just am confused on the options for a gecko bass. bridge, tuners, jack, control layout and a few others. I know I want black korina body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, thinking nordstrand fat stacks/2band pre....now bridge? Can someone explain why the single string won't work? Never seen/heard/played a gecko so I would love some input.

Is it going to be neck heavy w/ maple ebony?
Thanks,
dale

melodicly said:
I know I want a gecko 5, and the single string bridge doesn't fit. so..... hipshot type A? suggestions, comments, concerns? :binkybaby: Will warmoth even do a route for the hipshot A? What exactly do they route for? I know I'm a little slow but I just am confused on the options for a gecko bass. bridge, tuners, jack, control layout and a few others. I know I want black korina body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, thinking nordstrand fat stacks/2band pre....now bridge? Can someone explain why the single string won't work? Never seen/heard/played a gecko so I would love some input.

Is it going to be neck heavy w/ maple ebony?
Thanks,
dale

There are many Hipshot A models of differing spacings.  Warmoth can rout for a 17.5mm string spacing on the narrow 5 and 19mm string spacing on the medium and wide 5s.  This would be non-string thru only.  There is an extra charge for the routing.

I own a narrow 5 Gecko and have a 6 in the works.  They're great basses.

That's what I was looking for thanx Wyliee. 19mm hipshot is looking like the one right now. I really would like a single string bridge though. It would look so right on a gecko! Any, do you know what the route price is for the A? or is there a single string bridge out there that will work even if Warmoth won't route for it? Thanks again like I said I am just a little confused with the site.
Dale

melodicly said:
That's what I was looking for thanx Wyliee. 19mm hipshot is looking like the one right now. I really would like a single string bridge though. It would look so right on a gecko! Any, do you know what the route price is for the A? or is there a single string bridge out there that will work even if Warmoth won't route for it? Thanks again like I said I am just a little confused with the site.
Dale

I believe ETS does/did make their own single saddle bridge, though I know very little about them.  I could not make a recommendation there.  Custom bridge routing for the Hipshot A is $45.

Back