warmoth first timer questions

joshkava

hey guys (and gals?)

hope you dont mind if i fire off a few questions.. hope they are all appropriate to this category:

Differences in tone and string tension between standard scale warmoth neck lengths and the conversion necks... easier to bend and not as trebly with the conversion necks?

tele neck will fit onto a strat body no problem, correct?

and what is the' mounting to wood' option all about among the pickup routing options? EVH style?

thanks!

joshkava said:
tele neck will fit onto a strat body no problem, correct?

No it will not.  A strat neck will fit in a tele pocket but a tele neck will not fit in a strat pocket.  You'd need to get the body modified to a tele pocket or the neck modified to a strat heel.

You sand the pocket, never the neck. The problem is the squared-off heel of the tele neck. Better plan is to put a CBS strat neck on a tele.

More or less correct with the scale length question. It's the difference between Gibson scale and Fender scale.

They might make a Strat-shaped heel on a Tele headstock neck. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere years ago, but I could be wrong. Couldn't hurt to ask!

looking at the pictures of the bodies on their website one really can't tell the difference in shape in neck pocket route but ill take your guys' word for it.

the problem is there are some already made tele necks on there that are pretty well priced.. im sure if i asked for a custom heel it would add quite a bit of  $$$..

joshkava said:
looking at the pictures of the bodies on their website one really can't tell the difference in shape in neck pocket route but ill take your guys' word for it.

the problem is there are some already made tele necks on there that are pretty well priced.. im sure if i asked for a custom heel it would add quite a bit of  $$$..

Well, if you have your heart set on a showcase neck, get your chisels sharpened up to enlarge the pocket on that strat.
It's do-able.  But if it were me I'd get a special order neck/body for this job.

I don't know that the bottom line is going to be any cheaper on the neck once factor in the cost of having a tech redo the neck pocket.  Add to that the risk that he screws up the finish or the body in general.  Custom ordering a neck is the safest and, IMO, the most cost effective way to get what you want.

joshkava said:
ive got it in my head that i need a tele headstock on a strat body!   :cool01:

Can be asked, but will coast +45 of hand work, as they will get a paddle headstock and cut into Tele headstock...

The normal Tele won't fid because of the neck heel, Tele and Strat has different heels:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2

joshkava said:

As far as showcase necks being "pretty well priced", well, they are! They are the same prices as their custom necks, unless it's an exceptional piece of wood, in which case it would be more. But if you price out any of their showcase bodies or necks compared with the custom, it almost always comes out the same. So it seems the real benefit of showcase is (a) being able to see exactly what you're getting and (b) not having to wait for it to be made.

Bought my neck off the showcase and when all was said and done, I saved quite a bit of money if I were to have custom ordered the exact same thing from the ground up.  Do some pricing on the individual costs of items and you should see a savings by purchasing a showcase neck.  They still aren't cheap, but they are cheaper then ordering it from scratch.

lafromla1 said:
Bought my neck off the showcase and when all was said and done, I saved quite a bit of money if I were to have custom ordered the exact same thing from the ground up.  Do some pricing on the individual costs of items and you should see a savings by purchasing a showcase neck.  They still aren't cheap, but they are cheaper then ordering it from scratch.

Perhaps for the custom inlay type options or for necks already fretted? The majority I've looked at (all Tele or Strat) that have plain inlay and are still open to fret size choice are the same price. Sometimes it looks like the necks with special inlay or frets already chosen are discounted. In the bodies showcase though, it's nearly all the same as custom price for Teles/Strats.

But again, someone brought up the point of probably spending lots of time and effort (not to mention chance for disaster) if someone were to try and modify a body to fit a Tele neck.

Back