warmoth consistency

vtpcnk

i actually went the warmoth route primarily because i thought i could have similar feeling necks - with different body shapes.

but that's only theory - practical experience is hardly that.

of the three conversion necks i bought - strat, tele and jazzmaster (that's also a strat neck) - all of them have turned out different.

the all maple strat neck feels thicker than the maple/braz rosewood jazzmaster neck and the maple/pau ferro tele neck. i waited for my third neck to confirm this - now i doubt my strat neck is the standard thin contour which i ordered.

the jazzmaster neck's nut is definitely 1 5/8 - though i ordered 1 11/16 which warmoth also confirms. one guy at warmoth i spoke to about this said that the nut width assigned to a neck is "whatever was close to the two standard widths"! not sure how that justifies me getting a neck with a nut width that i did not order.

and my tech feels that the frets on my tele neck are stainless steel - which he had a tough time levelling. again not what i ordered.

so if you order a neck from warmoth check it out thoroughly to make sure you are getting what you ordered.

Do you have specific measurements?  If so, you might want to contact sales@warmoth.com if what you received does not match what you ordered.  You might want to take a look at the heel while you're working on the necks.  The nut width and fretwire specs will be written on the heel.

As far as consistency goes, take a trip to your local mega guitar store and check out the necks there.  I'm sure you find some minor variations on nut width.  A pass or two more with a sander or even a little more pressure (or less) can take a few thousandth off a neck.

>why didn't you send them back?

the problem with things like this is that you don't even think there is anything wrong in the first place.

it was only after i got my second neck that i started suspecting the profile of the first. it took the third neck to really confirm.

in the course of comparing the thickness i also found that the jazzmaster's nut was 1 5/8.

by this time my first strat neck is a year old. my jazzmaster neck is 6 months old. and i am going abroad in 10 days!!!

i think warmoth's products are well priced. the least they can do is ensure consistency to ensure that the buyer is getting what he ordered - especially in these cases where it doesn't take too much effort.

i am not sure how warmoth views its products - but these are serious issues for the player.

>take a trip to your local mega guitar store and check out the necks there

but that is exactly the reason i didn't go to a mega guitar store but to warmoth - for consistency.

Well I hate to be the a** but if you didnt check over your order when you got it, its your blunder. That includes measuring to make sure everything is the way you ordered it. You just seem to have all sorts of problems with warmoth.

Odd, I didn't have a problem with my warmoth necks.  Specs were spot on.  But then I measured them when I got them and would've sent them back.  Sorry about your bad luck.  Me .... I had great luck! :laughing7:

Back