Warmoth Bass Neck Feel?

myramyd

I searched around this board and couldn't find anything definitive so I thought I would ask.

I'm wanting to get either a P-Bass or Jazz Bass (still undecided) and was considering a Warmoth build--probably from Showcase parts.

The question is: How do Warmoth Bass Necks feel?

I have tried the new 2008 MIA Fender Jazz and P-Basses and both were nice--perfect feel wise. Build quality was just okay though. Not as good as the Fenders of even a few years ago. I liked the P since it's a tiny bit larger but not "vintage hugemongous" P-Bass. They now have a 1 5/8 inch wide nut and slightly thinner neck as opposed to the vintage specs.

Anyway, how do the Warmoth compare? I would probably go with a Warmoth Jazz Neck just to be safe and do either a Jazz body or P body or hybrid.

Mostly concerned with neck feel, since some reviews on the net had complaints about the bulkiness of the Warmoth neck profile. Which would be bad for me as I have smaller hands already.

It will certainly be easier to just grab a Fender off the shelf but I think the Warmoth might be a better quality for less cash.

I do have a Warmoth Tele build to finish still, so I shouldn't think about this but I do need a good bass!

Thoughts?
j

I've got both Pbass and Jbass necks from Warmoth and I find them to be great. Unfortunately that might mean my hands are bigger or I might like bulkier necks than you, the reviewers you read or.. whatever  :dontknow:
The only Fender I have to compare them to is a MIJ 57 reissue which is positively toothpick-like compared with my Warmoth Ps. but that is also skinnier than I remember the last new US Fender I handled.
Warmoth reckon they based their Pbass neck on the 62 Fender profile. I love'em but, as I said, you might not.
This probably doesn't help at all but another thought might be to consider the "feel" of different woods as opposed to size.
If you go with a Fender you are going to end up with a maple neck, which is going to have a finish (satin) with a Warmoth neck you have the choice of many woods that can be left raw. I believe that this could make a much bigger difference between their "playability" than the slight variation in their dimensions.

The jazz neck I got from Warmoth is a lot thicker then normal jazz necks, much more like a p bass neck in feel, was quite surprised, but I don't mind it at all.

The neck itself is awesome in it's fit/finish (no actual finish though as it doesn't need it on mine).

This is a totally subjective question.  The Warmoth J is definitely thicker than my dearly departed Geddy, but it is much more stable.  Both feel tiny compared to my 6 string basses.  I have small hands as well.  IMO, proper technique and neck positioning can reduce any challenges presented by a larger neck.

I don't notice the slightly thicker neck when playing.

I have a neck with an angled Warmoth peghead and it feels great. I have an old cheap Yamaha as well that has a neck that's a bit flatter, but I prefer the Warmoth neck.

The Warmoth jazz neck I just got feels thicker, mostly between the 3rd and 7th fret marks (it's a fretless). Otherwise, everywhere else feels similar to my mim jazz, and squire VM fretless jazz.

Have noticed that the fingerboard piece seems a bit thicker than most jazz necks I've seen, which might be the reason. 

Anyway, I'm not that big of a guy either, and I love the feel of the piece I received. Feels almost like a p-bass in the middle, but you still get the thin nut width, and in the uppers, it's still thin enough to get your hands around.

Wyliee said:
This is a totally subjective question.  The Warmoth J is definitely thicker than my dearly departed Geddy, but it is much more stable.  Both feel tiny compared to my 6 string basses.  I have small hands as well.  IMO, proper technique and neck positioning can reduce any challenges presented by a larger neck.

Indeed (like he said). Having played Fenders for 40 years - their necks vary on model, plus year and country of manufacture. I've also played, bought, and returned a '08 Fender Am. Std. Jazz. Though slightly thicker than the comparable Fender, *I* find the 2 Warmoth Jazz necks (w / SS frets) I own to be the most solid, stable, and comfortable necks I've played. As I, too, have small hands - I'd venture a guess that you'll be pleased with the end result. That said...positioning and posture lend themselves to a more enjoyable and productive playing experience, significantly.

Thanks guys,

I think this gives me a good perspective on what I would be looking at. I understand what is meant by "stability" as the MIA Fender J necks do seem a little too thin and narrow. The 08 P Neck is just right for the most part--which makes it probably somewhere in the ballpark of a Warmoth profile on a J Neck.

It sure would be nice if Warmoth offered some options on the bass neck profiles.

But I will probably try out a Warmoth P Bass with a J Neck and see what happens. Maybe even go with a P/J pickup config. I do need to get a neck for my Telecaster first...but this will be next methinks.

I appreciate the help everyone!

j

Back