Warmoth bass body + carbon fiber neck

oldfrets

I try something new with each of my builds; this time, it was a neck from Status Graphite. It's shaped like a conventional J-bass neck, just made of carbon fiber. The neck has a conventional truss rod, but while it needs a little initial adjustment to taste, it won't need any regular setup work as the seasons progress. Installation required a bit more work than I'm used to because the neck didn't come with bolt holes and you're supposed to countersink them to avoid chipping; the folks at Stol Guitars were kind enough to lend me a hand with the assembly.

The G4 body is made of ash and finished with a brown-to-clear burst on front and translucent brown on the back. I only realized when it shipped that I accidentally ordered a battery box, which is useless in a passive bass, but at least I have somewhere to store loose change :tard:. I'll put in an empty box just to cover up the route.

Gotoh 201 bridge, Hipshot Ultralight tuners, and a conventional VVT schematic but with an 0.010uF cap to prevent mudding out. The pickups are a JBE set, and they sound glorious - this is one of very few P-J sets I've found that 1) is very nicely balanced, 2) has a bridge pickup with enough low end to be used on its own, and 3) is hum-cancelling in all situations. The bass just rang out as soon as it was strung up, and it sustains incredibly long all the way up the neck - it actually gives my old Kramer aluminum-necked basses a serious challenge there, but weighs a whole lot less.

NUkev9e.jpg

bvCImT3.jpg

bfJnJa2.jpg

Spud said:
Looks great, talk about stable!!

You would think...

I'll be the first to admit I love graphite-necked basses, and I could never not own at least one...but I have had serious issues with two out of the three graphite-necked basses I've owned, issues that clearly and empirically demonstrated that this notion that graphite necks are so stable as to be impervious to the sort of issues that can plague traditional wood necks is simply not a universal truth.

They can be more stable.
But they can also warp, and when they do the fix is far more involved -- and expensive -- than fixing a warped wood neck.

Back