W00t!

Superlizard

The amp is here.  '67 Fender Deluxe (blackface) with original cover.

67Deluxe01.jpg

67Deluxe02.jpg

67Deluxe03.jpg

67DeluxeCover.jpg

This thing smells like musty old perfume mixed with old amp smell.

It was in his mom's house for 3-4 decades.

Smells really cool when it's on and the t00bs are cookin' the dust (testing it at work).

wewt!

Nice one mate. That thing looks pristine.

Old amps smell great. I recently bagged an early 70's bassman to repair. I took the  hassis out of the cab and it smelled great.

Great stuff.

I checked out the speaker (Oxford 25w) codes and says it was built the 9th week of 1967.

So, the tail end of the Blackface era.

Has a pair of original RCA 6V6GTAs, an org. Telefunken 12AT7 for the PI, org. Amperex, Bugle Boy and RCA in the preamp to round out the lot.  All of them phenomenal t00bs made back when t00b quality and tone didn't suck - like they mostly do today.  The RCA 6V6s and the Telefunken are surely the most valuable here.

Plugged in last night.

Very warm, smooth with "liquidy" mids and sparkly top end.  Nicely touch-sensitive thanks to the t00b rectifier.  Sounds great with my Crunchbox as well.

May need power caps; I was getting pops and cracks here and there... then again, perhaps a lengthy power-on-but-don't-play session will reform them.

This is what real tone is all about: a simple t00b amp circuit which allows your guitar's nuances (wood construction, pickups, parts) to come through.  No layering of fuzzy, buzzy crap on the natural tone.

Superlizard said:
I checked out the speaker (Oxford 25w) codes and says it was built the 9th week of 1967.

So, the tail end of the Blackface era.

Has a pair of original RCA 6V6GTAs, an org. Telefunken 12AT7 for the PI, org. Amperex, Bugle Boy and RCA in the preamp to round out the lot.  All of them phenomenal t00bs made back when t00b quality and tone didn't suck - like they mostly do today.  The RCA 6V6s and the Telefunken are surely the most valuable here.

Plugged in last night.

Very warm, smooth with "liquidy" mids and sparkly top end.  Nicely touch-sensitive thanks to the t00b rectifier.  Sounds great with my Crunchbox as well.

May need power caps; I was getting pops and cracks here and there... then again, perhaps a lengthy power-on-but-don't-play session will reform them.

This is what real tone is all about: a simple t00b amp circuit which allows your guitar's nuances (wood construction, pickups, parts) to come through.  No layering of fuzzy, buzzy crap on the natural tone.
Nice amp...It was made the same year I was born...Great vintage.... :icon_thumright:

I've dated the tubes.  For those not versed and/or assume that "a tube is a tube", not all tubes are alike; very few, if any, current manufactured
tube brands can hold a candle to the tubes of old in terms of tone and longevity.  I'd say about the late 70's is when tube quality started going
downhill.  Nowadays, the vast majority are made in eastern europe.  Load your tube amp up with Sovtek 12AX7WAs or WBs (for ex.) in the preamp and I can
guarantee you'll sound like @$$.

Take a look - and if you're serious about your tone, if you can find any of these brands around the same vintage... for a fair price, grab 'em.  I can
guarantee your ears will not be disappointed.  Especially Mullard (not the new repro stuff) or Telefunken brand.

Keep in mind though, you could (as in my first example - the GZ34 rectifier) have a Mullard but with a different label (G.E. in my case).  You need
to know the correct tube codes to make a proper evaluation.  This re-labeling was very common back in the day.

Anyhoo - here's the glass:

===

G.E. GZ34/5AR4

f32
B8K4

Mullard Blackburn - 4th week of November, 1968

IMG_0002.jpg

===

RCA 6V6GTA (x2)

AX

January 1966

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

===

Telefunken 12AT7

xl  

November 1966

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

===

Amperex 12AX7/ECC83

(triangle)7J3

Philips, Heerlen - 3rd week of October, 1967

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

===

RCA 7025

BA

April 1966

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

===

Bugle Boy (made in France) 12AT7/ECC81

Tk2
F3C1

La Radiotechnique, Suresnes - 1st week of March, 1963

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Dude that's awesome, those tubes are as old as I am. I've read stories of people finding tubes from way back in the 40's. Boxes of them people have found just sitting on shelves long lost and oblivious to the people around at how valuable they are to tone junkies..... :icon_biggrin:

The pops and crackling are probably dust.  Clean the pots, jacks, and tube sockets with some electronics cleaner and it usually goes away.  I hate to sound obvious but clean it at least three times if you are going to, especially on those jacks.  All kinds of funk builds up there, and not the good stuff.  A ten dollar fix never sounded so good.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
The pops and crackling are probably dust.  Clean the pots, jacks, and tube sockets with some electronics cleaner and it usually goes away.  I hate to sound obvious but clean it at least three times if you are going to, especially on those jacks.  All kinds of funk builds up there, and not the good stuff.  A ten dollar fix never sounded so good.
Patrick

:icon_thumright:  That's the plan once I get a new set of power filtering caps & extra hardware.  Deoxit to the rescue!  Then it's 3 prong power cord conversion, too.

DangerousR6 said:
Dude that's awesome, those tubes are as old as I am. I've read stories of people finding tubes from way back in the 40's. Boxes of them people have found just sitting on shelves long lost and oblivious to the people around at how valuable they are to tone junkies..... :icon_biggrin:

They're worth a lot too - for ex. , that G.E. labeled Mullard GZ34 goes for ~ $185 on the market!

I paid $1300 for the amp, but the t00bs are prolly worth $500-$600  LOL

Back