VOX Phantom Mark III Brian Jones prototype

OldTechnician

Gents;

I'd like to see a Warmoth option with both neck and body for the original VOX Phantom Mark III Brian Jones prototype guitar that he played in the early days of the Rolling Stones.

The original instrument was a bit of a hack-up job because I believe it was a proof-of-concept build rather than a pre-production prototype.  VOX put it together from Stratocaster parts, I believe an Eko neck that had a crudely-modified headstock that was originally one of their oversized-Stratocaster-like patterns, and some semi-custom bits of metalwork here and there. 

This would be a very easy design for Warmoth all the way around.  I really would want them to develop a pattern from the Brian Jones instrument (or from pictures commonly available on the Internet) rather than some variation of it like everyone else has done.  The body shape has never been properly copied, nor has the headstock.  The headstock in particular is a little off-kilter at the tuning machines, but gives the guitar a very distinctive look.  The body shape is also unique, and wasn't carried totally carried over to the production models.  An option for a carved top would be nothing short of wonderful! 

The original guitar had two pickups, but Warmoth could offer plenty of variations.  I believe the pickups were Strat pickups with custom squared-off covers and custom surrounds.  DiPinto has pickups ready to go with the square covers. 

The bridge was *not* a non-trem Strat bridge, but a tremolo Strat bridge that had the side with the whammy bar crudely hacksawed off and the entire bridge/sustain block jammed into the body.  There is nothing that says they have to restrict it to the original non-whammy configuration as well, but I would like to see the option of sinking into the body a sliced-off Strat tremolo. 

The original has a neck joined with the body at the 16th or 17th fret.  I'd want to see this reproduced since it is key to the overall look of the original, but realize that many really want access to all the frets. 

The body is a beautiful shape that is eminently practical for working musicians that have to stand when playing.  I have even run the design past a few female guitar players who liked the idea solely because there is no upper-body horn to stab them in their left boob all the time.

Sure hope you guys give this some thought!  I really think it could be a hit. 

+1 on this idea.  Actually +1 if they actually came up with anything new like they've been promising.

Warmoth doesn't build guitars, they just make bodies and necks. If the guitar you're talking about was essentially a Strat body they added some unusual parts to, you're already covered. Warmoth makes Strat bodies.

If the neck simply had an unusual headstock, you're already covered. Warmoth makes necks with paddle heads you can cut to any shape you'd like.

For hardware, you're on your own - Warmoth doesn't make hardware.

Be interesting to see what guitar you're talking about.

Bagman67 said:
Feast your eyes on the Googly-ness:

Is that what he's talking about? I remember those. Buddy of mine had a version of one back about 100 years ago. As I recall, it seemed to be a valiant effort that played horribly and sounded worse. I mean, it wasn't like the junk that was coming out of J.A.Pan, Inc. back then. They were just - not right. Like the zombies in that movie "Pet Sematary". Seemed like Vox was trying real hard, but it just wasn't their thing. Kinda like Chrysler making garden tractors or something.

Here's the guitar,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcZ2SiZhTHs
If you got a Warmoth  body blank Strat neck pocket go hardtail or trem (your choice)
you could capture the vibe of it & have a better playing  version.

Forgive me, gang...  I'm not well-versed in HTML and I'm cutting/pasting quotations from the various posts in the topic.  It has been a while since I visited last.

> Warmoth doesn't build guitars, they just make bodies and necks.

I'm familiar with Warmoth's current offerings.  My request was for Warmoth to add an *option* to their offerings for a Brian Jones Phantom Mark III body and neck.

First guitar I built from their parts was in 1992.  I wrote to Mr. Warmoth and he was really wonderful about pointing me in the right direction to learn about what I wanted to build.  Decades later, I made a point of thanking him profusely for his guidance.  He's a really wonderful guy! 

And yes... I still have that guitar!  It is a very light Swamp Ash Strat body with a big profile neck and a reverse-CBS headstock.  I designed and built an amp to match it, and ever since then EVERYBODY wants to steal that rig from me! 

> Be interesting to see what guitar you're talking about.

Do a search on "Brian Jones VOX Phantom Mark III"  Pay attention to the teardrop-shaped guitar played by the guy with the bleach-blond Beatle-like haircut.  Forget the one shaped like a trapezoid.  (Bowie used to play a 12-string version of one of those in his Ziggy Stardust days.)

> Very limited market of British Invasion gear enthusiasts. 

Limited... maybe so...  but I believe the limited success of previous attempts are mainly from a total failure to produce an accurate replica. 

>HELLZ no!!!  who in their right mind would want to play a P*nis-shaped guitar?

The shape was taken from an instrument called a lute. 

> Is that what he's talking about? I remember those. Buddy of mine had a version of
> one back about 100 years ago. As I recall, it seemed to be a valiant effort that played
> horribly and sounded worse. I mean, it wasn't like the junk that was coming out of
> J.A.Pan, Inc. back then. They were just - not right. Like the zombies in that movie "Pet
> Sematary". Seemed like Vox was trying real hard, but it just wasn't their thing.

Agreed that the Eko/Italy instruments were something worse than horrible.  The JMI instruments, what few were made, were ok-ish, but still a tad rough.  The guitar that Jones had was a one-off proof-of-concept.  It was also hacked together, but is to this day a playable instrument. 

> If you got a Warmoth  body blank Strat neck pocket go hardtail or trem (your choice)
> you could capture the vibe of it & have a better playing version.

Agreed and this might very well be an option, but I'd really prefer to see the template for the neck and body in Warmoth's options. 

I don't think there's wide enough appeal for this body/neck to justify Warmoth's costs in producing such.

That being said, it would be relatively easy to DIY from a Warmoth body blank/paddlehead neck...

Back