VOTE NOW 2011 Guitar/Bass of the YEAR! VOTES were reset.

Who should win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Max,

I hope that all of this banter does not confuse the fact that you made a fine and worthy of GOTY instrument.  Forget all of this junk above. It should not take away or distract the fact that you won and therefore deserve GOTY honors. Cheers to you. Shame on others.

I actually used to not like teles, honestly.
Then, this made me like them
cbtele5.jpg

Orchist
I own 2 teles
am building a third
A PRS custom 22 birds 10 top artist edition
a 335
a 335 clone
2 strats
and I cannot tell you how much I love them all, they each have their place.
But I can tell you that there is just something about a tele that you learn to love. Bash them all you like but it seems that they are one of the biggest selling styles of guitar in the world. That should tell you something about them.
Remember most guys get some sort of strat copy for a first guitar, as far as replacement upgrade guitars, teles sell a lot better than as starters. That should tell you something about them.
And among professional musicians you will find a huge amount of them have a tele in the fold. That should tell you something.
I rarely will bash something just to bash it, sooner or later you will have to eat your words.
they may be just a slab of wood, but they are tone monsters, look close, very little wood cut out, no second cutout, no body shaping, extremely small control cavity, they have a lot of wood there, think maybe that slab of wood may be the key?

Eric Banjitar said:
Max,

I hope that all of this banter does not confuse the fact that you made a fine and worthy of GOTY instrument.  Forget all of this junk above. It should not take away or distract the fact that you won and therefore deserve GOTY honors. Cheers to you. Shame on others.
I agree whole heartedly Max, that is one swell guitar you have, I enjoyed the build, remember all the pickguard issues, it was a fun build to watch and it cam out exactly as you envisioned it.
It is an Axe to be proud of and having GOTY makes it so special I am jealous.

Congratulations

ORCRiST said:
IMHO, [Teles] are the fugliest, cheapest and worst conceived design of a musical instrument EVER. If I had three wishes from a Genie in a bottle
I'm pretty sure one the wishes would be to magically have the Telecaster never exist in the first place. There's nothing 'viable' about it. The ONLY
reason it exsits now it that it was such a cheap POS back in the day that it was literally the only thing poor, starving musicians could afford.

I don't know... check this one out...

IMG_1402_Sm.JPG
IMG_1406_Sm.JPG

I mean, I understand the aversion to your typical Fender Tele, believe me. They're kukka. But, after building Bagman's "Quty Pie" and seeing/playing/hearing it, then doing this one, then seeing Max's, I gotta tell you, they're pretty easy to take. Of course, they're not your typical Tele, either. Pretty far from it, actually. About the only thing they have in common with Fender's offering is the outline of the body.

These have hollow bodies, high-end bridges, locking tuners, exotic woods, comfortable necks with attractive headstocks and stainless frets, premium pickups, carved tops, locking strap holders, and exemplary finishes. Your typical Tele has none of those things.

Congratulations Max!

Now can I have the URL for my GOTY Back?? I know you have been hiding it from me!!

Max said:
295-869427telestrat.jpg

Huh. Just wondering what it looked like as a strat-ish type thing.
NO NO NO NO Max ... NOT the strat ... The Tele is the perfect one  :icon_thumright:

That strat just looks wrong, Bridge to close to Knob, all wrong on that one !!

Try it on a V  :icon_biggrin: :icon_jokercolor:

Congrats, Max!  I missed the voting by two days, but my vote wouldn't have made a difference, anyway.  Superb concept and execution!  And that's from essentially a non-tele guy.  :icon_thumright:

Max, because I know you, I can joke with you.  This is the Alabama Telecaster.  A loss in the regular season only to win the National Championship over a guitar (LSU) that beat you earlier in the year. :icon_jokercolor:

I know I'm late in the game on this one (as if I could have decided on one anyhow  :hello2: ) but throw in The Blues Afterburner and The GreatWhite Nylon Strats and The Harvest Tele and you could have yourself a mighty fine calender.
(Maybe a LP, "Z", JagStang, Explorer, WGD, 335, and a "V" for next year's)  :toothy12:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Max, because I know you, I can joke with you.  This is the Alabama Telecaster.  A loss in the regular season only to win the National Championship over a guitar (LSU) that beat you earlier in the year. :icon_jokercolor:
You must not know me well enough if you're using a sports metaphor  :laughing7:

pabloman said:
I bet you'd be all over some Telecaster nuts if Dave Murray played one.  :icon_jokercolor:

No. No I wouldn't. Let me state for the record, again: I hate stratocasters - more due to my hatred of all things Fender, than the
design itself (unlike my Tele hatred, which is all around). The whole intent of my DM strat was to build a non-Fender stratocaster,
and do it better than Fender ever could with a 'real version', even if they wanted to. The Custom Shop and Masterbuilt be damned, they got
nothing on Warmoth other than a name and f-ing laughable price tags to go with it. Period.

Eric Banjitar said:
Max,

Of course not, nor was it my intent. You know where you can stick your shame, right?

My response was merely a counterpoint to Justatele's 'all tele's are magical' post. As I stated earlier: Hearty congrats Max!!1! Obviously not who I voted for, but still the winner and a damn fine guitar - just not my cup o' tea - and, hell, it doesn't need to be.

:rock-on:

ORCRiST said:
No. No I wouldn't. Let me state for the record, again: I hate stratocasters - more due to my hatred of all things Fender, than the
design itself (unlike my Tele hatred, which is all around). The whole intent of my DM strat was to build a non-Fender stratocaster,
and do it better than Fender ever could with a 'real version', even if they wanted to. The Custom Shop and Masterbuilt be damned, they got
nothing on Warmoth other than a name and f-ing laughable price tags to go with it. Period.

Your sentiments might be clearer if you said you hate Fender Stratocasters, and all things Fender. That makes a lot more sense and is more in line with what I think you're saying, and I sorta agree. I think "hate" may be too strong a word, but you'd never catch me buying a Fender Strat unless some junkie was running a fire-sale on one for next to nothing. You can always flip it to some fool. But, it's too easy to build something better. Without a whole of effort you can build something a LOT better. Hell, even the Koreans can do better for less than a couple hundred bucks. Not to take anything away from the Koreans, I'm just saying they don't have the "screw you" attitude that Fender and many other guitar manufacturers have. They do a good job and call it a love story.

Orichrist, I cannot understand the hatred of all things Fender
Leo had a good line of electronics going, it is a fact his amps even to this day are some of the best in the world.
So he decides to make a solid body electric guitar, but instead of the piece of art work style such as the majority of guitar makers were making. He decided to make a modern design that was both cost effective to build, but inexpensive to repair.
His design was a total success and is the pattern that most modern electrics are made by today.
A slab body, bolt on neck, and a cavity for electronics with an access plate to get into it. (so the pickguard is a access plate doing double duty on a lot of them). So what is your problem with that?
The guy revolutionized the entire guitar manufacturing process with one product, and his second product, the Stratocaster was a huge refinement that is the standard for design and style even today.
And you seem to have a problem with the company that if it were not for the founder, guitars would be hollow body art works that cost 3 grand or more. I just cannot figure it out, Fender's success is the reason the guitar and rock and roll became so prevalent. Without the basic design he layed out, you would probably be playing a tuba today.
One thing you have to face is how most guitar companies copy his process more than they do Gibson's.
So what gives? Why the hate? It is more like a prejudice, Hate for no reason.
Inquiring minds want to know what you hate about Fender. Because if it is bolt neck slab guitars do you hate all companies that produce them?

Jusatele said:
Orichrist, I cannot understand the hatred of all things Fender
Leo had a good line of electronics going, it is a fact his amps even to this day are some of the best in the world.
So he decides to make a solid body electric guitar, but instead of the piece of art work style such as the majority of guitar makers were making. He decided to make a modern design that was both cost effective to build, but inexpensive to repair.
His design was a total success and is the pattern that most modern electrics are made by today.
A slab body, bolt on neck, and a cavity for electronics with an access plate to get into it. (so the pickguard is a access plate doing double duty on a lot of them). So what is your problem with that?
The guy revolutionized the entire guitar manufacturing process with one product, and his second product, the Stratocaster was a huge refinement that is the standard for design and style even today.
And you seem to have a problem with the company that if it were not for the founder, guitars would be hollow body art works that cost 3 grand or more. I just cannot figure it out, Fender's success is the reason the guitar and rock and roll became so prevalent. Without the basic design he layed out, you would probably be playing a tuba today.
One thing you have to face is how most guitar companies copy his process more than they do Gibson's.
So what gives? Why the hate? It is more like a prejudice, Hate for no reason.
Inquiring minds want to know what you hate about Fender. Because if it is bolt neck slab guitars do you hate all companies that produce them?

No, no - its more hatred based on principles, ethics, the free market and aesthetics. Its hatred that has its foundation, in a nutshell, in the 'vintage' vs modern
state of music and musical instruments. I'll elaborate more if you wish, but its lunch time for me! (I'll come back and edit this post afterwards). Besides, I DO feel
bad that this is way OT from the GoTY 2011 thread 'tis supposed to be.  Sorry Max!

EDIT: back, and now of course I'm busy as hell at work... I can't make forum posts all day like some people...  :evil4:

Back