VIP GAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexrex

OK, we have just finalized our tax year here down in Australia, and I am now starting to get a serious case of G.A.S, as I know I am going to get a fair bit of cash back from the government. I have always though it would be awesome to have an LP style guitar, but with the VIP body shape.

Was thinking of something with a classy look, with some nice rounded sounding pickups:

Mahogany body with a red flame maple top and a mahogany Warmoth neck with rosewood fingerboard. Back of the body and neck will be just clear gloss.

Was thinking of going with the Gotoh 510 bridge, and for pickups was thinking about Seymour Duncan Humbucker Zebra SH-2n Neck and Zebra SH-4 JB Bridge.

Photo-chopped up a concept image, so tell me what you think. Also has anyone had any issues with the Gotoh 510?

Thanks

Very sweet looking concept.
I would roll with it... 
Keep the pics a comming &  :rock-on:

That will just look like every other Mahogany body with a red flame maple top and a mahogany Warmoth neck with rosewood fingerboard, clear gloss back of the body and neck with a Gotoh 510 bridge, and Seymour Duncan Humbucker Zebra SH-2n Neck and Zebra SH-4 JB Bridge pickups.  Be original for pete's sake. Just kidding :toothy12: :laughing3: :laughing11: :laughing7:

Sounds like a nice build.  I love my VIP....

It is a rather cliche build. But it is pretty hard to argue with those pics. I love the concept. Do it! The pup combo is one of the best out there. I'm sure you will get lots of advice on what to use but those definately get the job done. Flame maple and zebra is a match made in heaven.

Carved tops, and VIP's in particular, are just so pretty. It's a shame they require that freaking elbow in your side neck angle.

Death by Uberschall said:
Put a TOM bridge on it.  :icon_thumright:

+1. would take some modifications... could you put TOM poles in the holes made for the gotoh bridge? you'd still need the stop piece though.

your right, I guess it is kinda cliche, but its what I like. As they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I have a hollow body vip with an f-hole which I love, and I hear the goth 510 is an awesome bridge.
:laughing11:

Can't comment on the bridge, but I am really diggin' the zebra coils, any open coil pickups- that's my first choice.
If that body is secured, I say do it up, PRSKILLER!

imminentG said:
Can't comment on the bridge, but I am really diggin' the zebra coils, any open coil pickups- that's my first choice.
If that body is secured, I say do it up, PRSKILLER!

Yep, the body is secured and is on its way to me today. I have ordered the neck, as I wasn't too keen on the ones in the showcase. At least this way I can setup the body and electronics, and age some of the metal and plastic parts before.  :icon_thumright:

Body arrived today, beautiful work, but I am a little confused. When I ordered from the showcase, I did specify the output jack to be drilled, and I also asked for the Gotoh 510 bridge studs to be installed. These instructions were completely ignored. I know how to do these, but it just means more mucking around.

better make sure they didn't charge you the $10 for the posts, and they might take the body back to do the work if you wanted them to. did you call to place the order? they've always said you can just add these things to the Notes section when you place an order but i'd always be afraid that the instructions would be missed unless i got to tell somebody person to person over the phone

didn't call, as I'm in Australia.  I did pick the output jack size when i ordered from the showcase, and my printed receipt does confirm this. The posts I put in the notes. Anyway... I have it all sorted out now. Tapped the bridge posts in on the weekend, and I drilled (made a small pilot hole first and then using a stepped bit, which I then cleaned up with a 22mm cutter) to create the output jack hole.

Neck should be on its way soon, but I can't really do any thing else until then

:eek:ccasion14:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back