"Vintage" Warmoth JBass

Doody

Not sure what the particular definition of "vintage" is here, but I built this bass (Warmoth body and neck) not quite twenty years ago.

I had decided to 'convert' my first bass (a Peavey of some sort) into a fretless. One thing led to another, and the only Peavey stuff  left on this beast at the end of the process were the tuning pegs and the neck panel on the back of the body. She's got EMG active electronics / pickups and a Gotoh bridge. I have no clue what wood the body is anymore. The neck is presumably maple and rosewood (?). I prefer to run groundwound strings on her, though at the moment I'm trying out some ultra-light D'Addario half-rounds (not sure I like them).

Way back then I had no clue what I was doing re: finishing, but (decades-on!) I'm still ecstatic with how it turned out! The body was painted that dark green with hardware store spray paint - probably Krylon. A ton of coats, if I remember correctly. I then drizzled all over it some nasty-chemically thick black paint that a friend had a small can of. You can see from some of the angles that it rises up off the green background. Then I gave her a zillion thin coats of some cruddy spray clear coat, which clearly wasn't the right answer, but c'est la vie! The neck body was finished with a satin clear coat (probably a MinWax product) and the fingerboard wasn't touched.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Doody

The paint work is starting to grow on me......I like it (aside from painting the back of the headstock)! Enjoy your next build  :guitaristgif:

y'know - i hemmed and hawed at the time about whether to paint the back of the headstock. net-net, my feeling was "why the hell not?" since we paint the back of the body. i thought it would look good given the distinctiveness of the design. deciding where to mask off was pretty arbitrary. it's definitely different, but i like it :) .

thanks everyone for the comments!

doody!

Back