Video: Full Building of a Goodall Acoustic

Steve_Karl

Very nice detailed video with solo acoustic guitar sound track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k

I was interested to see the the fret installation had a few steps.
After using the press, there was also fine tuning of the fit of each fret by pounding them in, the rest of the way.

Cagey, if you ever get a chance to play a Goodall, you will be simultaneously elated and saddened.  The former because they are miraculously beautiful and sonorous instruments, and the latter because, well, they start around USD$5000. 

There is a flamed-koa-and-spruce Goodall baritone jumbo hanging on the wall at Sylvan Music  just over the hill from me in Santa Cruz that is the most amazing instrument.  The purfling is all fine hardwoods (purpleheart, bloodwood, curly maple) and the thing sounds like the knell of the apocalypse.  HUGE and complex, and it's set up like an exceedingly good dream.  The kind with Margot Robbie wearing very little clothing and snuggled extremely close.  Fast, thrilling, my oh my.

My point is if I win the PowerBall this weekend, I'm buying that damn guitar.  It's gonna be a steal at about 9000 bucks. 

http://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p1044/Goodall_KJB_Koa_Jumbo_Baritone.html

After watching that video, I was curious what they had to charge for those obviously labor-intensive things so I looked 'em up. You're right - they're frighteningly expensive.

We have a high-end music store here that stocks instruments of that caliber, and I never even ask to play them. I don't want to know what I'm missing.

If any of you get to central FL, look me up.  I have a Haiwiian Goodall JC I’ll let you try.  Got it used back in 2012 for much less than $5k.  Still my most expensive guitar though. 

That's a fantastic video. When you see the effort and attention to detail that goes in, suddenly $5000 seems a much smaller price to pay.

That sure lets you know what really goes into a good acoustic guitar. Great video.

Back