Venue sound problems

You need to turn off the transmitters, not the channel strips on the sound board.

Cagey said:
You need to turn off the transmitters, not the channel strips on the sound board.
Sorry that is what I meant.  I should have said, back at the sound board.  The wireless units are in a rack next to it.  I may cut the lights as well to make sure they are not somehow contributing to the problems.

There's always room for a little distortion in church  :laughing7:

Do you have a power conditioner? It may help remove noise. Is the amp grounded properly?

Does it make noise with the guitar unplugged?

I know my ATT serviced phone is notorious for making noise through our PA when it is near any of our equipment...maybe you could get something like that close to your guitar or amp and see if the interference gets worse as you get near a particular part of the guitar/amp.

Again, more thinking out loud...good luck with your problem solving.

Cagey said:
Is it a tube amp? I'm wondering if one of your tubes is going microphonic? But, you say it doesn't happen when you're in a hum-cancelling position, which says it's RF interference. Those single coils are behaving like antennae and picking up the singer, another player with a wireless system or maybe even the in-ear monitors if you use those.

Seems to me there's a mod you can do to the amp to filter out RF without affecting the sound. Something like a .0005 cap to ground from the input. Maybe Mayfly remembers what I'm thinking of.

Yet another example of why hum-cancelling pickups rule.

I wouldn't say rule out your rig just yet. Your rig in other locations just rules out that it doesn't pickup extraneous signals present in those locations. If it is the audio induction loop - you can't exactly turn it off even if you do determine it to be the source of the problem. You need to stop your amp from picking it up.

Back