Velocity Body

rauchman

Greetings,

Just received my brandy spankin' new Velocity body from Warmoth that was delivered by Santa Claus in the brown suite.  There have a been some questions recently on how the size of the Velocity body compares to other guitar bodies, so...thought I'd share

The body...
Velocity-Body.jpg

The body and the neck (24.75" tiltback Strat conversion neck)...
Velocity-with-Neck.jpg

Velocity and Tele (from Warmoth)...
Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

Velocity and Strat (mid 90's MIM)
Velocity-and-Strat.jpg

Velocity and Les Paul (very beat up 1975 LP)
Velocity-and-Les-Paul.jpg

Velocity and Gibson Midtown (the Midtown sits between a 335 and 339 in size)
Velocity-and-Midtown.jpg

Thanks for these pics...they help a lot! I am amazed at how close the Tele and Velocity really are. Are you able to test the balance of the body and neck?

Mincer said:
Thanks for these pics...they help a lot! I am amazed at how close the Tele and Velocity really are. Are you able to test the balance of the body and neck?

Agree.  Was kinda surprised how similar they are too.  Right now, the body and neck aren't connected.  I'll put something together over the weekend and get a pic up.

Is the radius sharp enough on these bodies to use an Electrosocket? I don't think the description page mentions the edge radius for a flat or carved top.

Mincer said:
Is the radius sharp enough on these bodies to use an Electrosocket? I don't think the description page mentions the edge radius for a flat or carved top.

Sorry, I'm unsure of what Electrosocket means.

I made the hole enlargements for the neck ferrules and recontoured the neck heel yesterday (still needs to be cleaned up and what not), and was able to bolt the neck on.  In regards to the balance, when pinching the upper horn between my fingers as far forward as I can pinch (to mimic where the strap button would be), the body drops downward.  Kind in mind, the neck has the weight of the tuners on it, the body has no additional weight (pickups, controls, bridge) and the neck is a 24.75" conversion neck.

IMG-0585.jpg

Here are shots of various edge angles...

IMG-0587.jpg

IMG-0588.jpg

Just holding the guitar, wow, extremely comfortable, and the 24.75" neck is fantastic on this.  I originally got this neck for the Hybrid Tele I recently built, which currently has a 25.5" Modern Vintage neck on it.  An additional 24.75" for the Tele is very tempting.

Kind glad I went simple on the body and didn't get the carved top.  The comfort cuts really allow the guitar body to snug up against my body.

Mincer said:
Sorry, the Electrosocket is a special jack usually reserved for Teles and bodies like Teles, with a 3/16 edge radius. You can read more about them here: https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Body/Stratocaster/Chambered/InputJackRouting.aspx

It looks like those would work on a Velocity, but I am not sure.

Ahh, the light bulb has gone on.  The input jack hole on my Velocity is 3/4" if that helps.  From what I read on the link provided, I think a 7/8" hole is needed for the Electrosocket?

I made the hole enlargements for the neck ferrules and recontoured the neck heel yesterday (still needs to be cleaned up and what not), and was able to bolt the neck on. In regards to the balance, when pinching the upper horn between my fingers as far forward as I can pinch (to mimic where the strap button would be), the body drops downward. Kind in mind, the neck has the weight of the tuners on it, the body has no additional weight (pickups, controls, bridge) and the neck is a 24.75" conversion neck.

IMG-0585.jpg

Just holding the guitar, wow, extremely comfortable, and the 24.75" neck is fantastic on this. I originally got this neck for the Hybrid Tele I recently built, which currently has a 25.5" Modern Vintage neck on it. An additional 24.75" for the Tele is very tempting.

Kind glad I went simple on the body and didn't get the carved top. The comfort cuts really allow the guitar body to snug up against my body.
@rauchman I am thinking of doing exactly what you did here (my first build) – except with a Tele body + Strat tilt-back conversion neck (to avoid the side-adjust screw that gets in the way of moving the neck mounting hole down). It looks like you had the body pre-drilled for the mounting holes. Did you have to plug the one hole you moved prior to doing the contour work? How do you feel it all worked out in the end? I’m also considering some contouring work on the back of the lower horn like the Velocity body has. I played a Tele Ultra that has that contour and it felt very nice. Thanks!

My Velocity has a 7/8, it absolutely can take an Electrosocket. Like @Rick mentioned, on a Tele the input jack area is flat whereas the Velocity is round. The edges of the Electrosocket would likely sit proud on a Velocity. I went with a football plate for mine.

Spudly humor notwithstanding, if you are feeling spry, you could relieve the edge of the jack hole with a Forstner or spade bit so the edges sit flush along the curve, and slightly below the surface toward the front and back.

I believe our buddy @Hendrix did that on some of his builds.

@rauchman I am thinking of doing exactly what you did here (my first build) – except with a Tele body + Strat tilt-back conversion neck (to avoid the side-adjust screw that gets in the way of moving the neck mounting hole down). It looks like you had the body pre-drilled for the mounting holes. Did you have to plug the one hole you moved prior to doing the contour work? How do you feel it all worked out in the end? I’m also considering some contouring work on the back of the lower horn like the Velocity body has. I played a Tele Ultra that has that contour and it felt very nice. Thanks!

Yes, the neck came with the neck holes pre drilled.

I took an orbital sander and went to town shaping the heel. As if holding the guitar to play it, the hole that is on the bottom and furthest outward toward the nut (where you palm would normally hit the corner that would dig into your palm), basically is removed through the cutting/reshaping of the neck heel. Then, it's just a matter of drilling a new hole.

Back