Velocity body....my journey so far - It is done

rauchman

Senior member
Messages
771
It is....done

Pics, as submitted to this month's Guitar of the Month contest....

Neck is a 24.75” Tiltback Strat conversion neck with a roasted maple shaft and ebony fretboard, with mother of pearl dots and SS6150 frets, standard thin, 10-16” compound radius.  Also, had a local shop make a delrin nut with slightly narrower string spacing…keeps the guitar in tune better than any non lock nut I’ve experienced.


Suhr Aldrich Bridge and Neck with chrome covers
500k pots with 1 DPDT pot (neck vol), which pulls both hum buckers to single coil and also switches the caps from .044 to .022
Bridge is a Gotoh NS510TS-FE1 with an FU Tone brass block, which is a little shorter, which allows a deeper pitch dive
Knobs were ordered on Amazon and have an abalone circle in the middle
Tuners are Hipshot non staggered locking with Hipshot white tuner buttons
Standard Tele like 3 way switch

Fantastic sounding and playing guitar.  Between the Velocity body and 24.75” neck, the guitar is very compact and balances beautifully.

Velocity-2.jpg

Velocity-1.jpg


 

stratamania

Senior member
Messages
9,217
It looks good and better than I expected in the beginning of this thread.

How did you end up doing the wiring with a DPDT?
 

rauchman

Senior member
Messages
771
stratamania said:
It looks good and better than I expected in the beginning of this thread.

How did you end up doing the wiring with a DPDT?

the neck vol is the DPDT.  Standard coil splitting for both pickups.  In the down position, used a jumper across 2 & 4 (the down position / humbucker position) and from there, ran a .022 cap to ground.  This, is addition to the .022 tone knob cap, seems to be working for the full up tone sound.  However, when actually using the tone knob, I think it's only sweeping from the .022 cap on the tone knob, not the full .044.  Not sure how to test that.
 

stratamania

Senior member
Messages
9,217
rauchman said:
stratamania said:
It looks good and better than I expected in the beginning of this thread.

How did you end up doing the wiring with a DPDT?

the neck vol is the DPDT.  Standard coil splitting for both pickups.  In the down position, used a jumper across 2 & 4 (the down position / humbucker position) and from there, ran a .022 cap to ground.  This, is addition to the .022 tone knob cap, seems to be working for the full up tone sound.  However, when actually using the tone knob, I think it's only sweeping from the .022 cap on the tone knob, not the full .044.  Not sure how to test that.

I was wondering as in the other thread you were discussing switching between two different cap values. For the caps to have additive values they need to be in parallel. Is one end of the cap connected to the DPDT tone pot in addition connected to the tone pot?
 

rauchman

Senior member
Messages
771
stratamania said:
rauchman said:
stratamania said:
It looks good and better than I expected in the beginning of this thread.

How did you end up doing the wiring with a DPDT?

the neck vol is the DPDT.  Standard coil splitting for both pickups.  In the down position, used a jumper across 2 & 4 (the down position / humbucker position) and from there, ran a .022 cap to ground.  This, is addition to the .022 tone knob cap, seems to be working for the full up tone sound.  However, when actually using the tone knob, I think it's only sweeping from the .022 cap on the tone knob, not the full .044.  Not sure how to test that.

I was wondering as in the other thread you were discussing switching between two different cap values. For the caps to have additive values they need to be in parallel. Is one end of the cap connected to the DPDT tone pot in addition connected to the tone pot?

Yes, that is exactly correct.  The one .022 comes off the 2 (which is jumpered to the 4) of the DPDT, which is grounded, and then the other .022 is on the tone knob conventionally.
 

stratamania

Senior member
Messages
9,217
rauchman said:
stratamania said:
rauchman said:
stratamania said:
It looks good and better than I expected in the beginning of this thread.

How did you end up doing the wiring with a DPDT?

the neck vol is the DPDT.  Standard coil splitting for both pickups.  In the down position, used a jumper across 2 & 4 (the down position / humbucker position) and from there, ran a .022 cap to ground.  This, is addition to the .022 tone knob cap, seems to be working for the full up tone sound.  However, when actually using the tone knob, I think it's only sweeping from the .022 cap on the tone knob, not the full .044.  Not sure how to test that.

I was wondering as in the other thread you were discussing switching between two different cap values. For the caps to have additive values they need to be in parallel. Is one end of the cap connected to the DPDT tone pot in addition connected to the tone pot?

Yes, that is exactly correct.  The one .022 comes off the 2 (which is jumpered to the 4) of the DPDT, which is grounded, and then the other .022 is on the tone knob conventionally.

It sounds like it should work if there is continuous ground. Of course the effect may turn out not to be  as obvious as expected...
 
Top