vegetarian necks

bpmorton777 said:
necks made from exotic woods that are soon to be on the endagered species list/ farmed from places that humans should not be like Madagascar.......

Brian

+1000

Perhaps some are farmed sustainably... though I doubt it. The forest protection group that Martin, Taylor, and other big acoustic manufacturers are a part of (can't remember the name) has done great things to help ensure that spruce will still be around for acoustic guitar tops. We'll see if we can pull off something like that for the tropical woods. Given the governments and economic situations of most of those equatorial countries though, I doubt it.  :-\

Yeah, I had to convince myself it was okay to order a guitar made of exotic woods... Arguably they're in much greater danger than shellfish. I know some countries are making headway, for example Costa Rica has incentives for farmers to plant native hardwoods. Hopefully this trend will grow.

onedrop said:
Yeah, I had to convince myself it was okay to order a guitar made of exotic woods... Arguably they're in much greater danger than shellfish. I know some countries are making headway, for example Costa Rica has incentives for farmers to plant native hardwoods. Hopefully this trend will grow.

I can't speak for the woods, but regarding the abalone, come on.  These are being harvested, rightly or wrongly, for food in many places.  They are considered a delicacy.  The shells are a by product of that.  I have no problem buying abalone inlays for my guitars, as the shells would otherwise go to waste.  I do not think it is the abalone inlay market that is driving the harvesting of abalone.

People who buy guitars that rare woods or nice wood are probably aware that some woods that are used to make guitars are an endangered species of wood that may serve a good home for many species of animal. I think it's really a bit silly when they say they're being a conservationist when they know the tree cut down to make the guitar may have killed animals aswell. So they're counter-acting themselves.Not trying to be rude, just trying to make people aware (unless they already are) of it.

I'm an omnivore, i have no problem with eating meat or using products that comes from animals that aren't being endangered, not that i've eaten or used products from an endangered species. That i know of.

DocNrock said:
I can't speak for the woods, but regarding the abalone, come on.  These are being harvested, rightly or wrongly, for food in many places.  They are considered a delicacy.  The shells are a by product of that.  I have no problem buying abalone inlays for my guitars, as the shells would otherwise go to waste.  I do not think it is the abalone inlay market that is driving the harvesting of abalone.

True dat.

I don't see a problem with it, we have just gotten good at what other animals, do, eating other animals.

As long as the animals aren't being abused, and there isn't some sick bastard getting a kick out of it.

In fact, P.E.T.A. is a sick sick organization, that holds animals in higher regards than there fellow men. Then employ thugs criminals and arsonists.

Oh, they also have a large walk in freeze where they store the euthanized animals (that they them selves euthanized) "that couldn't be saved"
They euthanize 40-50% of the animals they take in.

Anyway, back on topic, we raise and slaughter animals, we don't have to hunt them down any more and it provides food for people. Not everyone has a choice, food is food they eat what they can afford.  There are people in third world countries that would be more than happy to have a sustainable cattle farm, or a fishing industry. And you can't just farm, land can only handle so much, you either farm it or use it as gazing land.

Oh and PETA and/or green peace convinced third world countries not to take genetically altered foods from other countries, saying it would kill them, so by not taking the harmless food people who could have eaten and lived another few weeks months or years went without.  Don't get me started on genetically altered food.

Sir SchmoopY said:
Not everyone has a choice, food is food they eat what they can afford.  There are people in third world countries that would be more than happy to have a sustainable cattle farm, or a fishing industry. And you can't just farm, land can only handle so much, you either farm it or use it as gazing land.

Well, the reason people have issues with using land for raising cattle is that in terms of food production per acre, it is something like 100 time more efficient to use land for crops.

Oh boy, again.  I absolutely hate talking about this stuff, it tends to get otherwise tame people in a huff really quickly.  First off Schmoop, I agree that PETA is a joke, and a sick one at that.  They really do give people who actually care about stuff a bad name.  Also, I agree with you that not everyone has a choice in this.  If I was stranded in the wilderness I would snap the neck of the first living creature I could catch, even if it was you (JK), but I do live in a place and time when I do have a choice, and I choose what I choose, and make absolutely no attemt  to influence others to make that choice.   Hell, I even let my kids decide when they hit Kindergarten if they want to remain Veggie, or not.  My older one, who has reached this milestone, said he wanted a hotdog "like all the other kids" so I cook meat for him whenever he wants it.  But, I think everyone everywhere should read up on where their food comes from and what is done to it in the process of making it into food.  There are chemicals that our FDA allows to be fed to animals that have never been tested thoroughly on humans because, according to their logic, well we aren't giving these chemicals to humans.  And I don't know if you have ever seen one of todays "factory farms", but it is a sight to see.  All I'm saying is that in defense of us sensible people who have made this choice, we are not all some crazed eco-terrorists that will moltov your house if we see you bringing in bags of steaks from the grocery store.

I am officially quietly backing out of the fire exit on this one.

Have fun, kids.

I look around at the world we live in with all the war, famine, disease, poverty, crime and corruption. And I think as soon as we sort out all the war, famine, disease, poverty, crime and corruption I'll jump right on that shell food bandwagon.

guitlouie said:
Oh boy, again.  I absolutely hate talking about this stuff, it tends to get otherwise tame people in a huff really quickly.  First off Schmoop, I agree that PETA is a joke, and a sick one at that.  They really do give people who actually care about stuff a bad name.  Also, I agree with you that not everyone has a choice in this.  If I was stranded in the wilderness I would snap the neck of the first living creature I could catch, even if it was you (JK), but I do live in a place and time when I do have a choice, and I choose what I choose, and make absolutely no attemt  to influence others to make that choice.   Hell, I even let my kids decide when they hit Kindergarten if they want to remain Veggie, or not.  My older one, who has reached this milestone, said he wanted a hotdog "like all the other kids" so I cook meat for him whenever he wants it.  But, I think everyone everywhere should read up on where their food comes from and what is done to it in the process of making it into food.  There are chemicals that our FDA allows to be fed to animals that have never been tested thoroughly on humans because, according to their logic, well we aren't giving these chemicals to humans.  And I don't know if you have ever seen one of todays "factory farms", but it is a sight to see.  All I'm saying is that in defense of us sensible people who have made this choice, we are not all some crazed eco-terrorists that will moltov your house if we see you bringing in bags of steaks from the grocery store.

I agree fully, I don't think you're all eco terrorist, and I elated that you let your kids choose.
I'm just making the point that its not for every one, especially the third world, I just don't want anyone forcing there way on others, (not that anyone here is doing that) but it happens way to much.

Shoot, If your that cool of a parent, may I ask?
I will anyway, do you let your kids choose other things, like sexual orientation (not a choice, but a good example) or religion? just went off into another rant, but cut that out to better preserve the thread/

back on thought, oh shit, follow the bread crumbs back to what I was talking about.

Oh yeah, they (them government types) irradiate veggies so they keep longer in stores. They run the veggies past a lead box with a radioactive material in it to kill any microbes.
Canada wont buy veggies from us because of it, and they haven't fully tested the effects on humans.

Keep in mind its the government doing this, they don't just fudge with live stock they fudge with every thing. so don't use that animals are fed with hazardous chemicals argument. I could get cancer from that carrot. So don't be hypocritical about it, call bullshit on both sides, its like this in every argument people on both sides look over the flaws of there position so they can appear to be right and righteous. 

I'll do it right now, veal is a crime, take the cow out of the box, be more human to animals, stop the beatings. remove the barbed wire and electric fences from farms, make dam sure the cattle prod only hurts them a little, or find a better way of herding animals.
And STOP force feeding the cows hundreds of pounds of antibiotics!

Ok, this is really it, after this I'm done.  Yes, my kids will be free to choose a religion.  Just because I never found one that did not make me want to vomit with rage (Simpson's reference, I know you like that) does notmean that if my kid some day wants to drag me to some United Universalist Universe of All Being Gathering I will not go with him and at least try to see what he is getting at.  I will.  I try in everything I do with both of my kids to get them to look at more than one side of the problem, more than one solution.  In fact I drive them nuts because, much like here, when they ask me a question as simple as "why did that guy do that?"  I can never say "Well, son, just because".  My older son has really come into his own with this, in that he anylyzes things and sees that there is never any simple black/white to anything.  He is an inquirer and does not let anyone get away with a "just because" defense.  It is great.  He and his little brother can be anyone they want in this world, and I will be right behind them telling them " That is right, boy, give em hell".  It doesn't necessarily make me a "cool" parent, just ask them, they will tell you I'm the mean one.  But it is the only way that I feel I can raise them. 
Ok.  That said, I know that veggies are also suseptible to tampering the likes of which may very well give me some unwelcome side-effects, but it is easier to find locally grown, organic produce, and such, and I can keep better tabs on where my food is coming from with the way I eat.  But like I said, I never, ever try to tell anyone that my way is better.  It is just what I do.  After this long, I don't even know any other way, even when I go to work everyday and spend 8-12 hours cooking meat for other people.  Ok, done.

It's anyones choice and no-one should tell you what to eat or use, unless of course you're doing it too much and harming the environment.

I like you guitlouie! but I'm still a liberal hippy basher (yes its possible) that's just because I bash everyone who tries to force there beliefs on others, and we shouldn't have to cater to those people. (i.e. fundies, fundy muslims, greenpeace, peta, corporations)
but we should gladly, with a grin even, cater to those in an uncontrollable situation, Warmoth should offer lefty parts (then again that's their choice, and if they want to keep there lefty customers)
The gov should help the little guy, the disabled, the poor is most cases (not the lazy)
(My dad has become disabled and can never go back to his job and the government has done every thing to not help us.)

Point is you got a complaint, if its not life threatening, and its not completely out of your hands don't bother others, don't bother the government who intern bothers the tax payer.
Handle it yourself, you don't like people smoking near you ask them to put it out, or just leave, you don't like liter pick it up and bitch at the person, you don't want nudity harsh language or violence on TV turn the channel, or turn it off, our grow up and explain it to your kids whats going on and, why you think its offensive. DON'T get a self righteous erection and tell others what to do and why what they are doing is wrong!

If you want something special from warmoth, don't make them bend over backwards for something so simple and just custom order.
Muslims made police stations in England take a pic of a dog off of there invitations to policemen's balls (dances perverts) and such because there profit saw dogs as unholy. That's messed up.  If they can have something so minuscule done just for them, anyone can do it and soon we will be living in a sterile joyless EMG active pickup world. no offense to emgs  jk.

Think of George Carlin.

that's my rant, and I swear I'm done.

Sir SchmoopY said:
I like you guitlouie! but I'm still a liberal hippy basher (yes its possible) that's just because I bash everyone who tries to force there beliefs on other, and we shouldn't have to cater to those people. (i.e. fundies, fundy muslims, greenpeace, peta, corporations)
but we should gladly with a grin even cater to those in an uncontrollable situation, Warmoth should offer lefty parts (then again that's their  choice, and if they want to keep there lefty customers)
The gov should help the little guy, the disabled, the poor is most cases (not the lazy)
My dad has become disabled and can never go back to his job and the government has done every thing to not help us.

Point is you got a complaint, if its not life threatening, and its not completely out of your hands don't bother others, don't bother the government who inter bothers the tax payer.
Handle it your self, you don't like people smoking near you ask them to put it out, or leave, you don't like liter pick it up and bitch at the person, you don't want nudity harsh language or violence on the TV turn the channel, or turn it off, our grow up and explain it to your kids, whats going on and how it makes you feel.  DON'T get a self righteous erection and tell others what to do and why what they are doing is wrong!

If you want something special from warmoth, don't make them bend over backwards for something so simple and just custom order.
Muslims made police stations in England take a pic of a dog off of there invitations to policemen's balls (dances perverts) and such because there profit saw dogs as unholy. That's messed up.  I they can have something so minuscule done just for them, anyone can do it and soon we will be living in a sterile joyless EMG active pickup world. no offense to emgs  jk.

Think of George Carlin.

that's my rant, and I swear I'm done.
I hope so, your rant went for ages.And i read it.

I think every single one of you missed the point here.  Yes, many people need to eat meat and/or use animal products because that's all they can find or afford.  However, none of us fall into that category.  (At least the Americans don't... a vegan diet might be very difficult in Europe.  It's almost impossible in the Czech Republic, at least.)  Pointing out that there are bigger problems like war and famine does not mean that we should ignore this problem.  Frankly I don't particularly care about abalone... they're just snails... but I wouldn't buy the inlays anyway.  Why kill when I can just as easily not kill?

As far as exotic woods go... environmentalism is a completely separate issue from veganism.  No, I don't want exotic trees to go extinct, but that has nothing to do with compassion for animals.

Agh, I can never start talking about this issue without writing a freaking novel about it.  Anyway, I'm going to join RLW for a smoke on the fire escape.

Back