VegaTrem Mounting - Modern Fender 2 Point vs Vintage 6 Point?

Hello,

I like to choose the Vegatrem VT1 tremolo for my new Warmoth stratocaster body (chambered roasted swamp ash with clear gloss finish). Vegatrem is available for modern Fender 2 point and vintage 6 hole mounting systems.

https://vegatrem.com

Which mounting option will be more reliable and robust over time for the VegaTrem?

Is "Roasted Swamp Ash" hard and stiff enough to hold the VegaTrem over time?

Best regards,
Bernd

As you are not retrofitting an existing tremolo either choice would be a good one. Though the six screws or posts only hold the Vegatrem to the body and it does not pivot on the screws or two posts directly so has no bearing in that regard to tuning stability. If you are concerned about durability six screw option have more points in which to screw in the bridge (actually four) versus two points.

Any wood can move or dry out and reduce the stability of posts. Perhaps roasted swamp ash may be less prone to movement over time.

On balance if you are not retrofitting or planning on some point to use the Vegatrem on something else I would lean towards the Ultra Trem Standard rather than the two post in this case.

Hello stratamania,

thank you for your recommendation for the VegaTrem VT1 Ultra Trem Standard (4 point mount for Fender vintage 6 holes)!

Initially I thought the same: 4 point is better than 2 point mounting. But then realized that this might not fully comparable. Because Fender's modern 2 point mounting system got 2 metal threads in the body which holds the screws. Wheres 4 screws are screwed directly into the body wood off the vintage 6 hole system.

This early morning (in Europe) I wrote a mail to VegaTrem asking the same question. And they replied few minutes ago:

"If you are building from scratch, we recommend the VT1 Ultra Trem Standard (4 points)".

Hope this is usefull information for others too who want to build with VegaTrem Tremolo.

Yes exactly you would be using four screws and the two point uses posts.

Good to hear Vegatrem had a similar recommendation to my own conclusion.

Back