Van Houten stuff

AirCap

I had a client bring me a Van Houten Tele with what he called Dark Moon pickups.... This thing is a piece of crap. The finish on the body is horrible, and the neck joint is out of whack. The neck screw holes do NOT line up. Several frets are trying to pop out of the rosewood fingerboard. I'm afraid to even take the pickguard off. Anyone else have experience with these?

Isn't Van Houten that crappy coffee company?

Maybe that's it....  :sad:

http://www.vanhoutenguitars.com/

The axe on my bench looks like someone bought some Guitar Fetish parts and screwed them together.... badly.

I took pix of the popped frets and sent to the owner. He forwarded them to the "maker" in an attempt to get a partial refund to cover the costs of my repairs. The maker refused to stand behind his product, so that tells you all you need to know about Van Houten.

There are pix of the guitar (green & gold Tele) on his website, and you can easily see the neck is on crooked - the treble E is about to fall off the side of the neck.

http://www.vanhoutenguitars.com/#intro

♪♫♬ Cowboy number one, born again poor man's son, On the air America, I modelled shirts by Van Houten, ♪♫♬

errr. sorry.

timezon3 said:
Milhouse makes guitars?

TZ
5UzR9A1.png

Never heard of Van Houten guitars. Only Van Houten I knew of made chocolate bars back in the '60s, (My Dad's favorite dark chocolate!)
AirCap said:
you can easily see the neck is on crooked - the treble E is about to fall off the side of the neck.
Sure looks that way, don't it. Good to know that for the same $1400 it costs to build, (assemble), a Warmoth custom Tele, I could also get a quality factory model!  :icon_jokercolor:

I mean, for $1400 you don't even have to wait for Screamin' Deals.  You're well into Showroom or even no-frills Custom territory for that.

Of course, you can still put it together as badly as that guy did, so...  :dontknow:  You might have to try though.

AirCap said:
There are pix of the guitar (green & gold Tele) on his website, and you can easily see the neck is on crooked - the treble E is about to fall off the side of the neck.

I saw that picture when I perused the website yesterday. I was trying to convince myself that it must be a weird camera angle or something because no one would post a picture of a guitar with geometry issues like that, right? I'm all about "Buyer Beware", but that doesn't mean I like shysters. $1400 for a non-functional guitar and no support? Word-of-mouth is a helluva thing, won't take too many forum threads like this to get him in the pocket book I wouldn't think...

Who does the shoes he's carrying belong to?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    218 KB · Views: 379
I mean, for $1400 you don't even have to wait for Screamin' Deals.  You're well into Showroom or even no-frills Custom territory for that.

Which is what I told my client on the phone this morning. Next time he wants to spend $1400 for a guitar, let's shop Warmoth's website, and I'll put together something so awesome it will make him poop his pants with joy.

Back