Valley Arts info

MikeAlbaugh

Hey Gang,

It's my understanding that Warmoth used to make the bodies and necks for Valley Arts guitar. I have to admit that I unabashedly LOVE the great look of the rear-routed Custom Pro...

Just a great, clean and elegant look. After debating it for a while now, I've finally given myself the go-ahead and build a replica of my own...I have a few questions and it would seem that THIS would be the best place to ask them.

What were the dimensions of the VA bodies? All of the scans I've tried to scale up show it to be smaller than a standard Strat body (approx. 18"x12.5"....trying to scale the pics I have put the bodies as small as 15.75-16.25" length x 11.75-12" width. What is correct---or better yet...anyone got a template or an outline?

Anyone know if someone sells S-S-H rear route templates? I see Stew Mac sells the pickup routing templates individually, but I'm hoping for something more idiot-proof for me.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll bother you guys much more before I'm done.

If it's a smaller strat shape, I would take a very good look at Warmoth's "7/8" series. I measure mine at 17" X 12.375", though. They will only take a 24-fret, 24.75" scale neck from Warmoth or retro-fit a 22-fret, 24" scale Mustang/Jaguar neck. I've got the body sitting on my dresser staring at me, as I mentally run through all the different finishing ideas I have. It's hard for me to imaging buying anything but 24-fret guitars anymore.

With the Stewmac templates, rather than putting each one on the guitar individually, you would make a master template out of MDF or particle board.  Once that's done, test your master on a scrap piece.

Warmoth came up with the 24x24 3/4 neck as a replacement for a Mustang neck back in the early 80's. Valley Arts then incorporated the scale and Warmoth produced many parts for the original Valley Arts guitars pre Gibson's purchase of the company. Warmoth continued to make the Valley Arts line up until Gibson's decision to have the line made off shore.
the Warmoth 7/8 series is our updated version of the original Valley Arts guitars with our own headstock design. Unfortunately we are not able to offer the original Valley Arts headstock.

As a side note this neck will work on a Mustang or Jaguar as a conversion neck. This is a great option for those that like the Mustang/Jaguar body but don't care for the 24" scale neck.

Sean

As part of the (largely MENTAL) movement towards treating any and all my guitars as "works-in-progress" - I'll never go angstie over totally finishing one again! - this puppy started with two o' dem necks, the fretted maple/maple leftie boat SS6100 and the fretless bloodwood/ebony leftie fatso.

But lo, my 2005ish "Mustang-shaped" guitar put a dethlock on that maple neck, when-they-pry-my-cold-dead-tuners-from-it kinda thing. And in looking at any and all Warmoth bodies as a potential playroom toy, all you have to do to Warheaditize one is to understand that the bridge needs to about 6.5" from the bottom of the neck pocket as opposed to the "normal" 7.0" or so. If you're gonna take one to the war the measuring needs to be a bit more precise, but one can at least envision things like a Warhead'd Flying V or "Z-body" or such - Warmoth can move the bridge pickup up a half-inch for their usual $45 upcharge. It seems to me like there are a few less options for Mustang & Jaguar bodies these days, but I haven't actually asked about them - easier to just make stuff up! Sanctioned subversion may yet be lurking in the wings.

Back