UWF Discord Server

exaN

Hey guys! I went ahead and created a Discord server for the forums. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the app, but I use it all the time for different purposes and it's great for maintaining communities. In a nutshell, it's just a server with a bunch of chat rooms. It could make it easier to chat in real time and post pictures/links. I understand if none of you guys are interested in joining, or if the mods aren't ok with me doing this.

You can join here: https://discord.gg/Yyhf4R

You can use your browser, download their desktop app or download it on your phone (recommended).

I tried my best to condense the forums into a few useful channels. If you guys have any suggestions or comments, I am 100% open to them. Again, hopefully you guys are ok with me taking the initiative. I just thought it'd be a nice thing to have for ease of sharing things and asking questions in real time. I'm currently in the process of setting up a bot that posts photos of new Warmoth showcase items as they are added, how sweet would that be?

My name on the server is kaplOw.

I'm not sure this is the kind of forum/community that would benefit from that sort of thing, but who knows? If you get any takers, I guess that'll be your answer.

I also don't know that I'd expend a great deal of time/effort/server space displaying Warmoth showcase bodies. For one thing, they've already done it. I mean, if you're bored and just need the exercise, I suppose it could serve as an educational tool for you. But, where better to look at Warmoth bodies than on the Warmoth site? You get all the details, pricing, comparisons, etc. I'm not sure what you can add to that. If some feature or capability is missing on their site, perhaps talk to them about adding it. Aaron's always saying how they mostly twiddle their thumbs while contemplating their navels in the IT department there... (ducks)  :laughing7:

Thanks for the feedback Cagey :). I'm not expecting a lot, but I figured I wouldn't know until I tried.

This is what the showcase bot does right now:
qPLg5JZ.png

I'm hoping to be able to get the pic to display as well, then apply that to all 4 showcase galleries.

This is what the desktop app looks like in case you're not sure:
Eog2vQT.png

It's a free service and anyone can make a server, so it's no big deal :).

I cleaned it up a bit and managed to hack the photo in there, but I think with the webhook service I'm using I'd have to pay a subscription fee to have the pic display in the app.

eCGQloN.png

Now you just have to figure out how to pull in the additional shots of the back, the front with different pickguards and at different angles, plus the larger versions of each shot so you can see what it actually looks like rather than looking at a thumbnail.

Or, what would likely be easier is just attaching a link to the pic you do have that'll take you to the Warmoth Showcase where all that work is already done. Plus, once there people would be in a position to succumb to their baser instincts and just buy the thing.

The link is already in there (the bold blue text) :icon_thumright:. I suppose all of this isn't really worth it, I deleted the server. I was preaching to the wrong choir I think :laughing7:.

Although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have used it, I applaud you initiative in trying. Your efforts show your love of the forum.
:yourock:

BigSteve22 said:
Although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have used it, I applaud you initiative in trying. Your efforts show your love of the forum.
:yourock:

I blame you guys for being too old to use apps :icon_biggrin: .

Hehe! Maybe. But, everything has a purpose it's best suited to, and in this case I think maybe you were on the distant fringe of Discord's target market. If I understand it correctly, it would be better for a situation where you have a group doing collaborative work, like writing scripts, reports, specs, etc. or maybe team-oriented games.

This is really a message board, where things happen independently and asynchronously. There are a lotta people here who communicate with each other, but not at the same time or even on the same day/week, and not on the same projects.

You're telling me you guys aren't glued to your phone waiting for notifications like me :laughing8:?

The battery can die in my phone and I might not realize it for a day or two, if that tells you anything :laughing7:

Axkoa said:
Could you re-give the link...I can't seem to join  :sad:

Sorry I deleted the server :-\. I just don't think the interest was there :).

exaN said:
You're telling me you guys aren't glued to your phone waiting for notifications like me :laughing8:?

Folks send me SMS instead of e-mails. I check SMS about once every two days.

Unless I am working on a real-time IT change and SMS is part of the comms plan, I get SMS about all sorts of rubbish I hardly look at it. It just is not urgent to know my monthly online statement for the gas bill is ready or something like that. I noticed also a lot of people are sending SMS type messages in place of e-mail hoping you are so glued to the phone you are going to see it. Its had the reverse effect, it is now mainly classified as noise by me and I mostly ignore checking SMS in real time.

exaN said:
I blame you guys for being too old to use apps :icon_biggrin:
No lie, for sure. Only reason I'm not still using my LG flip phone, is my family gave me a smart phone for Christmas! Been using computers, in one form or another, since 1971, just never saw the need to carry one around all the time. Besides, I usually don't even want to talk to most people, no less hear endless egocentric drivel about their lives! And although I love you guys, I can wait 'till I get home.....  :icon_jokercolor:

Back