Using a retaining bar instead of string trees

spaceranger

Hi all, I like the idea of using a retaining bar instead of string trees on a 6-in-line headstock (Warhead/Strat) with a non-locking nut. Seems like it would keep a nice even angle on all strings across the width of the headstock, but there's not a whole lot of room between the nut and the E string tuner, and the angle might be a bit steep.

I know it might be overkill, but is this a bad idea for any technical reason (i.e. break angle too severe with a standard nut)?

we have discussed this topic every couple months for years, generally speaking, if your set up is done correctly you don't need trees or a bar, the factories put them on as a safeguard against poor nut slotting in a high volume production. Plus it adds an extra friction point between the nut and tuner, so bends and moderate trem use may cause tuning issues, By may cause I mean likely cause.

When using a locking nut, you do want to use a bar string retainer just to hold the string flat to the bottom of the nut so that when tightening string clamps its not pulling the strings sharp.

Hope this helps

Back