Updated Pics of my Warmoth(warning: potential arousal ahead)

scootles

So, I've posted pics before, but I've slightly modified it since then.

Initially I had a gloss nitro finish that I did. However I'm not a pro. I'm far from it and I did a sub-par job. It had thousands of microscratches that bothered me to no end. I took the guitar apart and I put a satin nitro finish over the gloss. I'm extremely happy with the results and I have enjoyed the guitar thousands of times more every time I pick it up because I LOVE the feel of it.l It is smooth rather than the 'sticky' feeling you get on glossy guitars. I figured I'd try to get some shots for you that showed the texture of both the front(quilted maple) and back(mahogany) of the guitar. I also threw a pic in there to show the line between the mahogany and maple just cause that stuff always interests me.

Originally with the gloss finish:

IMG_4701.jpg

The guitar gained quite a bit of 'variation' in the colors after the satin finish. When glossy and you looked at it, there was 'Deep blue' and 'fudge you reflection'. Now I see more. The next pic looks a little washed out with the colors. I'm not a pro in color correction so I'm posting as is.

IMG_4793.jpg

Pretty sexy eh? the blue is actually as bright as it was in the original pic. The neck/headstock was not painted in the satin so I didn't bother taking any pics of it.

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

Now here is the line between the mahogany and maple. I really like it. It makes weird things happen in my lap.

IMG_5592.jpg

Here is a pic of the back of the guitar before. It shows how deep the back of the guitar can look:

IMG_4635.jpg

Now, this I specifically aimed for an angle that would show the actual color variation I got in the mahogany after black/blue dye. It isn't almost all black like it looks in most lighting.

IMG_5584.jpg

now, this is to show the back of the guitar and the texture I intentionally left. I didn't want the mahogany to be smooth like quilted maple. I love the feel of the grain of the wood but I really like it to be protected. So, I used 1 thin coat of black grain filler and then clear coated. It left me with all kinds of open pores that the nitro still sealed and looks/feels awesome.

IMG_5519.jpg

And last, but not least... a pic to show the awesome texture of the satin finish the best I could:

IMG_5516.jpg

I know I posted this guitar before but I can't help but to repost the sexiest Z to ever grace the world.

It looks like there is more definition in the quilt.

How do you like those JH pups?

Looking all-round very good! I like that the mahogany isn't smooth, that always feels a bit articifial to me.

The guitar looks great man! You did a great job. And props to you for not just rolling over and quitting when it didn't come out the way you wanted :icon_thumright:

So lemme make sure I'm understanding this.  At first it had a glossy finish on it, and then you removed the glossy finish for a satin finish?  ???

Gorgeous guitar, BTW.  Love the first pic!

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were any as I didn't get an email notification!

It looks like there is more definition in the quilt.

How do you like those JH pups?
awesome! I've been thinking of trying those JH emg's, how do you like em?
I love them. Essentially they're an improved set of 81/60. The clean is whre they really shine.

Looking all-round very good! I like that the mahogany isn't smooth, that always feels a bit articifial to me.

Thats how I feel. I have an ESP with a transparent mahogany back and every time I look at it I WISH I could feel the grain.

The guitar looks great man! You did a great job. And props to you for not just rolling over and quitting when it didn't come out the way you wanted
Ultimately, it ended up turning out amazing. I'm much happier with it now than I was when I could see all those sanding scratches.

So lemme make sure I'm understanding this.  At first it had a glossy finish on it, and then you removed the glossy finish for a satin finish? 

Gorgeous guitar, BTW.  Love the first pic!
Correct. When I did the glossy finish, I couldn't get a flawless shine on it. There were always sanding scratches. I had put all the electronics in it so rather than attempting some more wet sanding and whatnot I taped off the electronics and put satin over it. I did not 'remove' the glossy coat. It is a nitrocellulose clear coat and they effectively 'melt' into each other. If I was to spray some onmy guitar right now it would stick as good without sanding as it would WITH sanding.

Back