Unfinished Roasted Maple - does it get dirty with use?

For those who have unfinished roasted maple necks and have used them a lot - do they get dirty like normal unfinished maple?  Just curious.

My preference is yes... I like the relic'ed look especially when it's achieved naturally.

Depends.  I like to keep mine nice and smooth by reburnishing periodically because it seems to lose some of that glassy quality that I want.  Of course that kinda removes surface gunk.

Great Ape said:
I guess that depends how filthy yer hands are when ya play it... :toothy11:

Amen. Some necks are just disgusting. You're almost reluctant to work on them out of fear of catching acute creeping crud and having your skin rot off.

Yes, of course it could IMO. That leads me to the question- Can I put a light  finish on a Roasted Maple neck, and if so, how?

It's still just Maple. Anything you could do to a regular Maple neck could be done to a roasted one.

I usually don't recommend wipe-on finishes, but I've done a couple/few necks with Behlen's Master Gel and had good results. It's a water-clear polyurethane finish, so it's very robust and stands up to neck abuse well.

Have not yet put the roasted maple I have lying around to work but I have an all Bubinga neck that has no finish that is going on two years now and its fine. But then I do tend to give my hands a quick wash before I start playing and wipe the strings and back of the neck with a soft cloth when done. I suppose in theory anywhere that oils from your hands can influence wood could darken it a bit. Cagey can attest I have one guitar I had finished with a worn look to the body but given some of the extreme relicing jobs I have seen on some regular maple necks I'd take a dark wood with a little evidence of humanity interacting with it over time any day over something that looks like it suffered a felony assault by a sander.

I have found ANY unfinished neck will be a grime build up over time.  I have several EVH 'OILED" Wolfgang neck guitars and they do get dirty.

I use this.  A Little goes a long way with a microfiber cloth.  The Orange oil will clean AND add oils back to the neck.  I have used this for over 20 years on rosewood fingerboards and now unfinished necks of all kinds and it works great.  Smells good too!!!

img10084301717.jpg

Back