uncompensated bridge

phllp665

Hey guys,

I used to have a Gibson Hawk.  That guitar had two humbuckers and an uncompensated wrap-around bridge. 

Anyways, I miss the simplicity of that bridge.  No screws to mess with, no saddles or springs or anything.  Just string it up, adjust the height of the posts, plug and play.  I was working on some plans for a guitar project and thought I would put a wrap around tail piece in for the bridge.

Here is the problem.  The stoptails available through warmoth are a little different from the bridge on my Gibson Hawk.  They look the same but the Hawk's bridge had two small screws at the posts that allowed you to adjust how close the bridge sat to the posts, thus allowing you to compensate the bridge...a little bit.  To see what I'm talking about take a look at the bridge on the Gibson Billy Joe Armstrong model. 

That style of bridge is not readily available as far as I can tell, so I was just going to use a regular stoptail in the bridge position. 

I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried this on their guitar.  I plan on using 10's or 11's on my guitar.  My understanding is that heavier gauge strings give you some room for error when setting the intonation so I may not need to worry about it. 

Histroically, I believe this straight stop tail was used on some early guitars.  Anyways, any feeedback you might want to share would be appreciated. 

if i'm understanding correctly then you'll basically have a wraparound bridge. you could check on ebay and see if anybody's selling their old PRS wraparound. they compensate, but only just technically.

2287745268_b007305dcd.jpg

hope that helps some. sounds like a very cool project  :icon_thumright: especially if you're just going for simplicity!

EDIT: looking around stewmac i found this. seems pretty cool.  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/SG_Junior_Bridge.html

Stew mac sells those too - they're readily available. What you need to do is check the dimensions of the bridge posts you want
against Warmoth's 510 bridge routing to make sure it all works out.

Back