Two suggestions (Danelectro bodies/necks and metallic copper paint option)

i always thought it was a bc rich, but i just checked and didn't find it.

any way,
if you get some time, i would like to see a sparkle long horn.  :icon_jokercolor:  (dead serious)

Yeah, I need to draw out that shape in Illustrator at some point, so I can make some mockups. I'll see if I can get going on that later this evening. I'll need to find a good, straight-on, fairly large pic of a Longhorn body for use as a good template. Once I get the elements drawn/isolated, I can bring them into Photoshop and apply sparkles, easily try out various colors, etc.

Schmoopy said:
anyway, if you get some time, i would like to see a sparkle long horn.  :icon_jokercolor:  (dead serious)

Here you go (you didn't specify a color, so I just randomly chose a salmon/rose kinda thing).

dano4_salmon.jpg

I have to make a 6-string baritone variation (everything remains the same: body, pickups, bridge, controls, etc...I just need to create separate layers for 6-string saddles, strings, frets and markers). Then I'll have one master, layered Photoshop file that I can create 4- or 6-string versions from, and easily apply different colors, sparkle or no sparkle, different colored pickguards, etc.

It was fun to find a good straight-on photo via Google for reference, and draw everything from scratch. I don't know why, but that's a relaxing, enjoyable thing for me. Some people do yoga...  :icon_tongue:

Let me know if you had a specific color or look in mind...should be easy, now, to do that (2-3 mouse clicks or slider tweaks).

pscates said:
But I meant "gallery" when I said it...customer pics of completed WGD projects. You don't see many there.

I love browsing the Showcase for bodies (painted or unpainted) as well...that's actually my favorite part of the site because you often see some neat paintjobs there that aren't offered in the standard paint section (colors or various finishes that aren't on the regular menu...Desert Sunset, Champagne Sparkle, etc.). Are these one-offs or special requests that never got sold, or experiments from Warmoth maybe? I've seen some really neat finishes in the Showcase over the years! Going there every 4-5 days is like opening a present...you never know what you're going to find or see. Good, clear photography too, from several angles (front, back, sometimes an nice 3/4 view).

It's too bad more WGD customers don't send in photos because there are some amazing bodies shipping out of here!

Many of the unique finishes you see in the Showcase are experiments and may not be repeatable.  If you see something you absolutely dig, get it.

-Eric.

Definitely good advice, but unfortunately it's not always on the body you want (I keep seeing that gorgeous Desert Sunset finish pop up in the Showcase over the past few months, but it's always on Strat bodies it seems...but I'm a Tele kinda guy, and not about to change an entire guitar style over something like a paintjob...haha). And if you do see it on the body you like, there's no guarantee it'll have the pickup and/or bridge routing you're after either. Or, in the case of Teles, the binding.

But rest assured: the day I see an alder Tele in Desert Sunset with standard routing and white binding in the Showcase, the Mastercard is probably going to get a workout.

:icon_tongue:

So it's a dice-roll. A cool, fun one. But unless you just find that perfect color on the body/routing you're after, you're not much further along, sadly. And the whole thing about building your own, "as you want it" custom guitar is to have no compromises. I wish I didn't like binding so much, or liked more standard, readily available colors...I'd probably already have something!

:sad1:

Wouldn't it just be easier to make Desert Sunset or a nice Copper Metallic a standard color option (in the metallic or flake section, along with all the others?). Other than Candy Tangerine, Warmoth doesn't really have the orange/copper range represented much in their stock offerings...I see various reds, all kinds of blues and greens, lots of nice bursts and natural finishes, several grey/silver tones, all the classic 60's Fender solid colors, the transparent dyes, etc. But not much in the orange-ish family (between the reds and yellows).

If I knew I could get the Tele I wanted, with binding, and that Desert Sunset or some sort of Copper Metallic (or flake) as a stock, reliable "always available" option (just like Sherwood Green, Candy Blue or Dakota Red), I'd probably buy the thing in fairly short order (like tomorrow).

:icon_biggrin:

But it's still always fun to look. I was there this morning, looking through the Showcase for neat finds.

So why not just order a bound Tele alder body in Desert Sunset? You're probably not likely to see that as a Showcase piece...

:toothy12:

Because...I just heard from a few people - here and at another forum - that it's not a standard offered color. It doesn't appear in the main menu. And then I'm told above - by an employee, I assume - that they're often experiments or "one-offs" if I see one of these non-standard finishes in the Showcase. And I take his word as fact, if he's actually working there!

But last I checked, earlier today, Desert Sunset wasn't listed as one of the finishes in the paint section of Warmoth's site. I truly wasn't aware that I could call Warmoth and order a bound Tele in Desert Sunset. If I can, I'd really love to have this confirmed by someone. It's a bit confusing, and I'm afraid I'm picking up conflicting info...

Warmoth might want to either a) add a few more readily-available, stock colors to their main paint section offerings, or b) put a little notice at the Showcase saying something like "any non-standard finish seen here is available for your project...call or e-mail for a quote" or something like that.

As it is, I just assumed that if it's not listed in the main Paint section AND I don't see it on a body I want in the showcase, then I'm simply out of luck. Is this the case, or not?

???

I did. Although it was several months ago, I admit (early spring). The answer I got was basically "what you see is what we have...we do some try-outs or one-offs".

Should I call again? Perhaps the policy has changed a bit since then? Maybe they got some more paint options and vendors and just haven't updated the site to reflect this? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to stock a few extra offerings in the orange/copper family, period (since those have been some colors offered from folks like Dano, Gibson, PRS and Ernie Ball/MM...and even Fender put out that cool '52 copper Tele a while back). PRS calls theirs "Blazing Copper" and it's gorgeous. Very snappy!

I always though that looked so pretty on a guitar, like a bright, shiny penny!

pscates said:
:toothy12:

As it is, I just assumed that if it's not listed in the main Paint section AND I don't see it on a body I want in the showcase, then I'm simply out of luck. Is this the case, or not?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Many finishes are custom blends and experimental colors may not have been bought in large quantity.  Additionally, some finishes can require additional material and/or labor to produce.  Depending on how many bodies have been shot, there may not be enough material to shoot additional bodies.  Be prepared for additional charges.

As far as an alder tele in Desert Sunset goes (right now), get your card out and call in.  Operators are standing by.  

-Eric.

Yeah, I learned - just now - that was a custom color, and available. That's great to know...he said the sparkles are not as large as the flake guitars, but a bit more "glitter" than the a standard finish. The lone Desert Sunset Strat body currently in the Showcase shows this wonderfully. This is encouraging. Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

Nice to have - between you and the person I spoke with - some sort of a firm, definite answer.

This kinda "greenlights" things a bit. I'm currently awaiting payment on a freelance illustration gig. When I receive it, it's probably going right to you guys!

:icon_smile:

Back