Two suggestions (Danelectro bodies/necks and metallic copper paint option)

P

pscates

The title says it all. As popular and iconic as Danelectro guitars are, I'd love to see Warmoth offer the 3-4 basic, classic Danelectro body styles: single cutaway, double-cutaway, longhorn and perhaps a double-neck). The company itself seems to come and go (they're currently back, with a limited, somewhat goofy, selection of two models). And Jerry Jones guitars are so expensive. I had a single-cutaway, 4-string Jerry Jones bass (white) about 12 years ago. Wish I still had it!

Who among us wouldn't love to see this? Make your own longhorn 4-string bass or 6-string baritone, in whatever color/finish Warmoth offers! What are they...poplar and masonite? Couldn't be too expensive or troublesome to gear up for three or so body styles?

And Warmoth could offer the necks as well, guitar and bass. To keep it simple and streamlined, you could just offer rosewood only (keeping it real and all).

But with all of Warmoth's color, routing and customization options, it would be so cool to make a personal, customized Dano to fit your particular taste!

And speaking of color, I'd love to see some sort of metallic copper added to the standard metallic colors. A few years ago there was a Fender Tele reissue done in this color, and it was gorgeous. And I see where some Ernie Ball, PRS and Gibson guitars come in this look.

I've never seen this color from Warmoth, even as a one-off in the Showcase section. But I think it would be a popular choice.

I hate to poo-poo an idea, and I do love Danos, but Warmoth is in the wood business, and Danos were, well they just weren't made out of wood.  I think their signature sound "wood" be lost.  I have seen a lot of the late 90's ones for sale the last couple years for decent prices though.

Warmoth is in the guitar business, aren't they? They sell a lot of stuff...metal, plastic, etc.   :icon_smile:

I understand what you're saying, but it's still a nice idea...wouldn't hurt anything to make some alder(?) frames and slap some masonite between them and paint them up nice. It would probably be a cakewalk - and a nice change of pace - for them. LOL.

I see the Danos on eBay and other places too. I just thought it would be neat to make your own.

You couldn't find an apricot sparkle or candy tangerine longhorn doubleneck baritone/guitar on eBay, I don't care how hard you looked!   :icon_tongue:

But you could put one together via Warmoth...

Warmoth could actually "keep it real" and limit it to lipstick-only routes and such...no wild triple humbucker and "12 knob" arrangements.

you could also cut out your own body shape from a Warmoth body blank. I did this and it's working out well.

Brian

A cool idea, in theory. But I have no access to tools, and I'm not what you'd call "woodworking inclined". If I was, then I wouldn't be creating a thread like this; I'd be out in the garage making the silly thing. Ha. I imagine you could cut your own Tele, Jazzmaster, PRS, Rickenbacker, 335 and BC Rich shape out of a Warmoth blank, but most people wouldn't (or can't). I fall into that camp...

:(

Even if I managed to cut out the perimeter shape, I've got ZERO pickup- and neck pocket-routing experience or background. It would be a trainwreck...wasted wood, broken (or severed) fingers, etc. It's why places like Warmoth exist...to give dorks like myself (with more ideas than hands-on know-how and abilities) access to things we're not skilled enough to create ourselves.

:icon_smile:

And, on a purely practical/"let's get real" note, do you not think those Dano styles would be a more popular seller than, say, that Z body, Iceman, WGD and some of those more radical, limited-appeal shapes? No offense whatsoever meant to anyone who owns or likes those bodies, but I think they're more of a niche item than good ol' beloved Danos! If Warmoth is actually selling those Iceman or Z body shapes in any sort of numbers, surely to goodness they'd sell a boatload of longhorn or double-cutaway "Jimmy Page" Dano bodies and accompanying necks...especially since the real company seems to come and go, and frequently change focus and gears here lately...lots of guitars, no guitars/effects only, two guitars and effects, etc.

You can get body blanks pre-routed for PUs, neck  pocket, bridges, etc., so don't let that put you off...

I love Danelectro looks and I would like to see a Warmoth/Dano guitar. I don't care about the details, Warmoth is only true to the Fender based guitars. All the other shapes have many differences but that's OK, we're talking about custom guitars, not exact replicas. A Warmoth/Dano with quality wood, hollow option and lipstic pickups will be interesting.

Dano's were always only cheapies. Longhorns looked cool but were made from shit. Masonite on a frame! HELLO :confused4: Why would anyone want to replicate a kitchen door then tune it?  :icon_scratch:

Because chicks dig it
http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-parts/dano.gif
<mild adult content>
stooge.gif

willyk said:
Dano's were always only cheapies. Longhorns looked cool but were made from shiteeeeeee. Masonite on a frame! HELLO :confused4: Why would anyone want to replicate a kitchen door then tune it?  :icon_scratch:

Because they were/are cool, unique guitars with a huge following and they occupy a legitimate spot in pop/rock/country music history?

Believe it or not, not everyone wants a tung-oiled, koa wood, flamed maple guitar with a bubinga neck, ebony fretboard, LED markers, two batteries, a piezo/preamp, four pickups, six knobs and three mini-toggles (and 148 tonal combinations), locking tremolo, 24k gold hardware and fingerboard "history of the Eastern Hemisphere" abalone inlay. Frankly, I despise those kinds of guitars...but I don't begrudge or hassle anyone who digs 'em. They're just not my thing.

If everyone's tastes were the same, this would be a really boring planet. There's room for that stuff, AND modest, more simple offerings too.

:icon_tongue:

I guarantee you that more people started their guitar-playing lives with something like a Danelectro (and therefore have fond memories of them) than some of those other types. You can't discount emotional ties and intangibles like sentimentality, longing for a piece of one's youth, etc.

Heck, I'll even make it easier: simply offer the longhorn body, since it's so unique and iconic, and then offer a 4-string bass or 6-string baritone neck to go with it, since that's probably what most people would look to create from the shape.

- One body style (longhorn)
- Two neck styles (4-string bass, 6-string baritone), rosewood fingerboard only
- Offer lipstick tube routing by default, but, in typical Warmoth fashion, customers could get whatever they wanted...a longhorn body with Tele pickups/wiring or three Strat pickups, etc.

We're not talking exact duplicates. Masonite wouldn't have to be used. They could cut the thing out of alder, hollow out the wings and leave a solid center block and cap it, like they do those hollow Teles (I could imagine someone ordering a dyed green, flamed-maple longhorn!). At that point, it's an all wood guitar, but with a snazzy, familiar look. Able to be painted in any color. Charge a skootch extra for applying the vinyl tape on the sides (or people might opt to leave it off entirely), etc. Or you could have binding if you wanted to pay for it. That might look cool too! Offer the pickguard shape, but in all the typical Warmoth materials...if someone wanted a longhorn baritone in Olympic White with a green pearl pickguard (or Sherwood Green metallic and a white pearloid guard), they could have it! Something no one else would have, and that certainly isn't available from Danelectro...EVER.

It would sell. Everyone knows it would. You make it semi-hollow and put those lipstick tube pickups in there and tune it down to some low rumble (B or A) and it'll sound close enough to "Guitar Town" and "Little Ways" that nobody will care if it isn't a 100% faithful replica. Call it "inspired by" the Dano longhorn if you want..."a modern interpretation". Just like the Iceman and some of those other funky shapes, it's about style and looks as much as anything.

I'd wager my next paycheck they'd sell more of them in a month than they do those WGD bodies in an entire year.

:icon_smile:

Lighten up will ya?.. In your first post you're talking about poplar and masonite and how easy it would be to gear up for 3 body styles. In your second post you are talking about alder frames and masonite being a pleasant change of pace and a cakewalk for the staff. I think most product line managers would have a different opinion. Now you are answering my one line OPINION with a condescending lecture on everyones tastes and then end up saying Masonite wouldn't have to be used anyway.  :icon_scratch:
This is a discussion forum where different points of view should be able to be aired. If you want Warmoth to make a Dano' body that's fine, I did say "Longhorns looked cool" but don't make it personal by addressing your diatribe on what you despise and how you wish to risk your paycheck to my post.

First, apologies. I think I'm in less need of "lightening up" than you, re-reading your post, but you're a vet and I'm the newbie. Fine. I know my place now.  :icon_smile:

Perhaps "despise" was too strong a word. I don't lean toward the exotic end of fine guitarmaking as much as others. That sounds better... (where's that self-flogging emoticon/smiley).

Secondly, on the other thing, I came off my initial "poplar/masonite" stance because you made a case for it not being the best way to go, or being Warmoth's forte. In other words, I was agreeing with you, and coming around to your view on it. Maybe it makes more sense for them to use traditional materials and approaches that they're accustomed to, but maintaining the cool look in the process? That's a nice "middle ground" solution, I think.

Third, pointing out a simple, obvious fact about how our tastes are all different shouldn't torque your (or anyone else's) tater to such a degree. A quick glance at the Warmoth galleries illustrates it beautifully...the variety seen there in materials, styles, finishes, workmanship, etc. Why you chose to jump on that, of all things...

Lastly, I've still only seen one person with that WGD body, so I'm not going to apologize for any obvious - and truthful - comments made about it (about it being a very limited appeal, niche-y design compared to some others). My paycheck has nothing to do with you or your post...I'm not sure how many they sell. I've never seen one in the wild, or in the galleries (unless I've overlooked it). I think I've seen one there...I even Googled it, with not much success.

Cool, brother man.

I was just looking at Jerry Jones' site...I like how they've taken the traditional Dano design and tweaked it a bit, and made it a bit different and "off", just to give it a twist. But I see where they've got a more faithful, accurate line (JJ "originals" or something like that), that lean closer to the true Dano body shapes.

They're pricey though.

I had a four-string Jerry Jones bass back in the '90's (white, single cutaway, nice thumpy Hofner-esque sound, etc.), and I've regretted parting with it since the day I did. It was really nice, and always got the comments and the buzz. Probably one of the neatest, most novel guitars I've ever owned. Light as could be, but stayed in tune and always sounded so good with the guys I was playing with at the time (British Invasion, pub rock and power pop).

There's another company out there - can't remember their name (might've been DiPinto?) - who make guitars in that similar style (retro kitsch and "so tacky it's cool"). I guess once you get set up (jigs, cutters, etc.), it would be a pretty simple way to go, compared to making archtops and things like that.

i think the longhorn, looks like crap.

i couldn't restrain myself, and now pscates will chew me out like willy chewed him out,
well i say, bring it on, im a &%#@in Vet.  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: times infinity.
E = MC  :toothy12:

:icon_biggrin:

Nah, not at all. They are goofy-looking as can be...no argument there at all! They're definitely an acquired taste (or, rather, no taste at all).

But I've always loved them. I think I saw my first one as a teen in a Dave Edmunds video, of all things ("Slipping Away"?). This was probably the early 80's or so. I remember thinking "what in the world is that thing he's playing?!?"

At the time, all I was really aware of was Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker and Gretsch. This was pre-Internet, so you couldn't just hop online and Google or Wiki something like you can now. It took a few trips to the bookstore, looking through magazines and guitar books, until I learned what it was, the company, etc. Dork that I was, it never occurred to me to, oh, maybe go to a guitar/music store and ask around!

But it stuck with me all these years. They're just ugly enough to be cute...like one of those little wrinkly dogs.

pscates said:
First, apologies. I think I'm in less need of "lightening up" than you, re-reading your post, but you're a vet and I'm the newbie. Fine. I know my place now.  :icon_smile:

Perhaps "despise" was too strong a word. I don't lean toward the exotic end of fine guitarmaking as much as others. That sounds better... (where's that self-flogging emoticon/smiley).

Secondly, on the other thing, I came off my initial "poplar/masonite" stance because you made a case for it not being the best way to go, or being Warmoth's forte. In other words, I was agreeing with you, and coming around to your view on it. Maybe it makes more sense for them to use traditional materials and approaches that they're accustomed to, but maintaining the cool look in the process? That's a nice "middle ground" solution, I think.

Third, pointing out a simple, obvious fact about how our tastes are all different shouldn't torque your (or anyone else's) tater to such a degree. A quick glance at the Warmoth galleries illustrates it beautifully...the variety seen there in materials, styles, finishes, workmanship, etc. Why you chose to jump on that, of all things...

Lastly, I've still only seen one person with that WGD body, so I'm not going to apologize for any obvious - and truthful - comments made about it (about it being a very limited appeal, niche-y design compared to some others). My paycheck has nothing to do with you or your post...I'm not sure how many they sell. I've never seen one in the wild, or in the galleries (unless I've overlooked it). I think I've seen one there...I even Googled it, with not much success.

There used to be 7 or 8 WGD's in the showcase before they redid it, and the showcase only represents a VERY small portion of Warmoth's business.

Oh, I realize that...not everyone takes a pic of their Warmoth project and sends it in for placement in the gallery. I've just not seen many anywhere, period (via Google searches, etc.). That's all I was saying. It's a pretty uncommon, out-of-the-ordinary body style compared to some others (those Strat and Tele galleries are huge, as one would expect).  :icon_smile:

I kinda like that Z body shape for some reason. It's nice and swoopy. Is that a Warmoth original, or is it based on an existing design? I'm pretty sure I've never seen that guitar design except at Warmoth's site (unless it's some sort of obscure Carvin, Ibanez or Fernandes design, or some other company that I don't keep up with or follow).   ???

FYI;
Showcase = Warmoth's  webpage for new and occasionally returned merchandise.

Gallery = Webpage for customers to place pictures of their builds.

Cheers.

Thanks, I realize that...been visiting Warmoth for many years now. I try not to use the terms interchangeably (if I do, it's an honest mistake or slip).   :icon_smile:

But I meant "gallery" when I said it...customer pics of completed WGD projects. You don't see many there.

I love browsing the Showcase for bodies (painted or unpainted) as well...that's actually my favorite part of the site because you often see some neat paintjobs there that aren't offered in the standard paint section (colors or various finishes that aren't on the regular menu...Desert Sunset, Champagne Sparkle, etc.). Are these one-offs or special requests that never got sold, or experiments from Warmoth maybe? I've seen some really neat finishes in the Showcase over the years! Going there every 4-5 days is like opening a present...you never know what you're going to find or see. Good, clear photography too, from several angles (front, back, sometimes an nice 3/4 view).

EDIT: Ooh, there currently seems to be about four WGD guitars in the customer gallery (two from the same guy, even...unless it's a duplicate posting). I love the goldtop Jagstang posted in there too...very nice!

Back