Twelve Stringin'

If you can’t see it, I’m a 12 string fan! Even have paying gigs weekly for it the last couple months.

Also, don’t do Ric and instead go wider on the nut width. Id go 1 11/16 minimum. Maybe look at 1 3/4+.
I’m having my Ric nut redone to offer a little more ‘grace’ between courses of strings. In the Ric world this is known as the “Arnquist” mod.

Basically your outside strings are as close to the fret/fretboard edge as a wide spaced (vintage) Fender. Except at the nut end. This allows for better spacing between your courses of strings.

Oh and if you haven’t played a Ric, while the nut width is narrow, the depth of the neck is more chunky.

It’s not like a 12 string is a shred machine, unless you’re Leo Kottke.
I had Mark Arnquist set up a guitar for me with my first Warmoth neck like 30 years ago me thinks. He also routed my 82 Smith strat for a humbucker, may have been a Duncan "Full Shred" :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an inexpensive Recording King 12 string I like playing" Life by the Drop" and " Breathe" on. I like to play both of them slightly out of tune and with my off key caterwallin'.

I'm amused that we're talking about this, since this just arrived for me today. It is a Chinese knockoff, but like I wrote in my What to Do Next thread, it wasn't easy to find one without going to "the Bay." Short of getting a double-neck SG kit and keeping the 12-string neck and doing who knows what with the rest of the parts, a 24.75" 12-string neck was aggravatingly difficult to find.

And I did also buy the 8-string bass bridge.

Attachments

• 2022-09-28 14.23.56 - 600.jpg
    2022-09-28 14.23.56 - 600.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 14
I'm amused that we're talking about this, since this just arrived for me today. It is a Chinese knockoff, but like I wrote in my What to Do Next thread, it wasn't easy to find one without going to "the Bay." Short of getting a double-neck SG kit and keeping the 12-string neck and doing who knows what with the rest of the parts, a 24.75" 12-string neck was aggravatingly difficult to find.

And I did also buy the 8-string bass bridge.
Another Solo kit part!

Another Solo kit part!

Yeah, I was hoping Solo sold the 12-string neck in Gibson scale by itself since the body was one of their B-stocks (still not quite sure what the blemish is to put it on the B-stock side...maybe some excess glue that seeped through some of the natural gaps in the spalt top), but they only carry the Fender scale 12s, like WM. :(

I like their headless kit. I may check it out when they re-stock.

Solo is cool. Few places like that have physical showroom stores anymore. I’ve picked up a few parts there before.

Well well well, lookie here.

UdbRj_yTOOeTKIJ_KCDL2_OQIUjKchiLeruuZfRZAHRfbNy2ysj2ev3pX1PlUtjq7PXvbwKVyF3qR7h5YZySCtu9ZoyxAWTRU6O0d7frnKNI6tvl-N4k1HFQSWIwPIE7-QKFyaBGdbEAx4YeHqtSaQlTrNQAWt04ZdQOITn2lgMRaZ8ixrrfhlMvIQbbbpkHKQSCpEiA4SMJTVE70QdtAcdszdoMkN4uASxnM5oJ54MJygOp4MKtWRFWRD0pKJyvelkP38oZgwsOT-R0ADNO0X0SJQwCIaKkLuf1tQ1z2u5VHIyh3-fpJ5QZVerq-m4_vt4_ojC0RvnWjFfGOT_Vk5A3f-vy_2v2wJBMXog-1yf1caFb1gLMEIU5S4a-M2Jv_0V2L1735EgpMKDegbPgu2Wt6QuuHYMgsl28Q-KNrNBO0okVpH4cDPc2R1I5_DH3ndwFDYyCCtvVDXYpRYSF1AOOxreDaSmTu4ErCAlgjG3XfhgSy_anaAb4Fz2hJ7QAhEZZG-QYEVmDy_QWzE17NkWmUqFeAcXfZrziXC0vwRerQcEou1H-ByKVfGZfEF2qVAj8d5L7h9wOwYTD2jyl6GMFLj4G7XNaOtXkZwuwXJsPfb9T6Pg7it9HrLI3hhqGna7nKUHtR5nxitcupJVFoasrZMHOGsLphm4PjpIuLMfOjn-_sp2fgUn4GJpQ6bwPKRhkIZuBPKDDgbL7lWVnJIShhLjyh0bN8fp81j-WFzm_M55oq1i4s8KH1y8qppzc8Ci62dxyK_4nb-_rUBi_61ZWO8ot1EECXTEGJceZcdBudLhNn1VcuC6lTMQNlisKwIFjAe-gpMFYPk1t_6DvZlB_bTW6cGSzJQhCSTcYmLZm14LmX8Pk5qDxgvX4aI-I1Gtgft1BVeI-ub0CqTCF39TeCILWcU7XGF8Xmg=w1920-h909-no

It was my late father-in-law's pocket knife, and it was not well-cared-for. But I now have a decent sharpening setup, so I'll attack that along with the other household sharp objects.

Back