Tuner buttons loosen when tuning strings down?

Pazuzu93

I did some Googling but couldn't find a case of anyone else with this specific issue, weirdly enough. It's weird, because I'm having the same problem on several guitars.

I swapped out the tuner buttons on three of my guitars. One has a set of Grovers, and the other two are just imports. On all three guitars (and all six on each), when I tune the string down, the tuner buttons come loose. This never happened with the factory installed buttons.

They tighten back up when I tune the string up to pitch, but it's seriously annoying, especially when I need to remove the strings and they come off completely. I tighten the screws back up with a screwdriver and the problem persists.

Anyone else had this issue? Do they come from the factory with threadlock on them or something?

You hit the nail on the head - threadlock.  I used to have this problem on sperzel tuners.  A tiny dab of blue locktite fits the bill.

Are you sure that your new replacement buttons are properly engaging the shaft of the tuner? If the button is turning the shaft, and the screw holding the button on threads into the shaft, then rotating the button should not back the screw off because they all rotate together. If the shaft is stationary and the button is rotating around it, then I would expect what you describe. Do the buttons slip while you are tuning?

If you're looking to upgrade I've had real good luck with hipshot tuners.  They have a wide assortment of tuner buttons.

Theres several different shat sizes. I'd make sure you have the correct buttons for tour application. Also make sure you've installed the bushing and washer on the shaft.

-VB- said:
Are you sure that your new replacement buttons are properly engaging the shaft of the tuner? If the button is turning the shaft, and the screw holding the button on threads into the shaft, then rotating the button should not back the screw off because they all rotate together. If the shaft is stationary and the button is rotating around it, then I would expect what you describe. Do the buttons slip while you are tuning?

The buttons on the Grover tuners are also made by Grover, and they seem to fit tight on the shafts... screws still loosen when detuning.
The others seem tight as well, same problem though.
None had that problem with the factory installed buttons.

I dunno, I'm still fiddling with it. Might just go with some Locktite on them.

Rick said:
If you're looking to upgrade I've had real good luck with hipshot tuners.  They have a wide assortment of tuner buttons.

I'm getting ready to buy some Hipshot lockers for the Musiclander/Warhead build I'm starting. Seems like they should be solid. I especially like that mounting plate system they use. Makes it easier to get them straight on the headstock.

Back