tuneomatic choices

vtpcnk

what's with all these tuneomatics (in gold) on the market?

nashville tom on stewmac - $27.50

ABR1 is $ 25.25 - what's ABR?

gotoh on warmoth is $22

tonepros on warmoth is $69.75

tonepros TPFP on ebay is like 100 bucks.

toneprocs T3BPN is $65 on ebay.

schaller on ebay is $45.

graphtech on ebay is $90.

so what's with all these varying prices? what do some have that the others dont?

what's value for money?

ABR-1 is the original TOM style.  It has threaded posts that screw right down into the wood.  The Nashville style uses a threaded bushing that's sunk into the wood and machined threaded posts that screw into that bushing.  Some Nashville's also have slotted posts that make for easier height adjustments.

Tonepros add a set screw that locks the bridge to the stud.  Graphtech replaces the metal saddles with ones made out of their slippery material.

There are lots of varations, but its hard to beat the "Bang for the Buck" of a Gotoh.

are there seperate tuneomatics for solid bodies and semi hollows? or flat body vs archtop?

vtpcnk said:
are there seperate tuneomatics for solid bodies and semi hollows? or flat body vs archtop?

No.

I have two of the Gotoh TOMs from Warmoth... They seem pretty good to me, I can't imagine what's worth so much more about the others.  See also the FAQ :D

Also check out the Gotoh 510 TOM available from Stew-Mac. Both tailpiece and bridge unit fully lock onto the pillars, making it a VERY stable piece of work that will never fall off. Even the pillars have a a locking screw in the bottom of them to fix them rock solid. Check out Braveheart in the LP gallery to see one in use.

vtpcnk said:
what's ABR?

Named for its inventor, Ainseworth Barrington-Ross, a British doctor also known for his work with the P'jute people in northern India (now Pakistan) when he served as Field Physician with the 4th Gurkha brigade, before de-colonization.

>Named for its inventor, Ainseworth Barrington-Ross, a British doctor also known for his work with the P'jute people in northern India (now >Pakistan) when he served as Field Physician with the 4th Gurkha brigade, before de-colonization.

thanks for the history. (p'jute? sounds more native american to me!).

but i was more interested in knowing what the difference was between a abr and a standard tom.

=CB= said:
vtpcnk said:
what's ABR?

Named for its inventor, Ainseworth Barrington-Ross, a British doctor also known for his work with the P'jute people in northern India (now Pakistan) when he served as Field Physician with the 4th Gurkha brigade, before de-colonization.
vtpcnk said:
>Named for its inventor, Ainseworth Barrington-Ross, a British doctor also known for his work with the P'jute people in northern India (now >Pakistan) when he served as Field Physician with the 4th Gurkha brigade, before de-colonization.

thanks for the history. (p'jute? sounds more native american to me!).

but i was more interested in knowing what the difference was between a abr and a standard tom.

CB -you're evil. :evil4:

=CB= said:
vtpcnk said:
what's ABR?

Well we are just an encyclopedia of useful information, aren't we?

vtpcnk said:
Only if your talking archtop otherwise no.  The bridge would be the same but it comes with a fitted rosewood base with posts and thumbwheels built in.

It seriously wouldn't surprise me if CB seriously knew that off the top of his head.  :laughing7:

Back