tune o matic/stoptail placement

I think so. Its also on the fender-style guitars I believe. I really dont like it, but I havent had problems with pinches with the pickups I mentioned. I think its mostly a psychological thing instead of physical.

Technically Orpheo.  If warmoth builds their parts for a 25.5 scale then really the pickups even though its further away from the bridge if you're measuring,, techincally its in the same spot as far as the string harmonics are concerned.  Because when you're talking about changing scale lengths its not the exact dimensions that are important because its all relative to the scale length.  I'm not trying to call anybody dumb or anything, but I think complaining about the pickup being in a "different place" would be like complaining that the frets have wider spaces in them on a longer scale neck.

The pickup itself.  if you used a tape measure would indeed be in a different spot as far as the measurements are concerned, but for the longer scale.. that little sweet spot where the p/u is supposed to go has moved a little further away from the bridge.. so the p/u should be moved to that spot.

or am I missing the point?

Volitions Advocate said:
Technically Orpheo.  If warmoth builds their parts for a 25.5 scale then really the pickups even though its further away from the bridge if you're measuring,, techincally its in the same spot as far as the string harmonics are concerned.  Because when you're talking about changing scale lengths its not the exact dimensions that are important because its all relative to the scale length.  I'm not trying to call anybody dumb or anything, but I think complaining about the pickup being in a "different place" would be like complaining that the frets have wider spaces in them on a longer scale neck.

The pickup itself.  if you used a tape measure would indeed be in a different spot as far as the measurements are concerned, but for the longer scale.. that little sweet spot where the p/u is supposed to go has moved a little further away from the bridge.. so the p/u should be moved to that spot.

or am I missing the point?

DOH! fudge, damn, you're right. Use a 25.5'' scale, and life is good again, I forgot. thnx! you're completely right.

Yeah I just measured the distance on my Parker that is 25.5 - and they're the same. So I guess it's the wood and pickup that make my guitar less bright. Or would a 24.75 neck make some difference? I don't know. I think my explorer will be 25.5 instead of 24.75 just to be sure.

GoDrex said:
Yeah I just measured the distance on my Parker that is 25.5 - and they're the same. So I guess it's the wood and pickup that make my guitar less bright. Or would a 24.75 neck make some difference? I don't know. I think my explorer will be 25.5 instead of 24.75 just to be sure.

agreed. I took a look on the jackson-website, and there, the distance seems the same:

2900017527_xl.gif

same :) so, in short; let's take a 25.5'' scale :)

GoDrex said:
I also have a little more trouble with pinch harmonics. They're not impossible but not as easy as on my other guitars. I definitely feel like there isn't as much treble as there should be, but I like the sound anyway. Kind of have to learn to live with it after spending $1800 on it.
Orpheo said:

Anybody here had the same problem with the L5S??? I'm not going to 25,5" and not going to high gain / treble-ish pickups and it's really annoying me, like I'm thinking in sell the L5S body I have...
The guitar this gonna be is vintage-ish, to play Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top... It has to have some pinch, just because the songs have it...

Sorry guys, I've a big respect for Warmoth, but I'm kinda pissed off with that news... :sad:

I've notice that the humbucking routes Warmoth did on my Mustang, flat seven and Telecaster were all further from the bridge than they would be if, ummm, Gibson had done them; but, I can do pinch harmonics using the neck pickup - it's a technique.... Have you really turned the treble and volume all the way up on your amp, and it's still not bright and loud enough for a harmonic to ring? :help:

Time for a bigger amp.... :toothy12:

I can do pinch harmonics ok on my LP - but I've just noticed it's a little different that say my Parker or my star (made by warmoth) which are 25.5 scale. I thought maybe it was my pickup - an SD Custom - but it seems like it should be OK for that. I can do them but it doesn't seem as easy. I've felt since I got my guitar that it's perfect for classic rock and blues more than anything. It doesn't seem to like really high gain as much. But that could be for any number of reasons.

My problem is:

I've been always an "ok" guitarrist... never a good, techical one... always more "punch on the strings" and "getting there by will"

:-\

Will think more... but really don't know if I'll put a piece of brazilian rosewood on it anymore

GoDrex said:
I can do pinch harmonics ok on my LP - but I've just noticed it's a little different that say my Parker or my star (made by warmoth) which are 25.5 scale. I thought maybe it was my pickup - an SD Custom - but it seems like it should be OK for that. I can do them but it doesn't seem as easy. I've felt since I got my guitar that it's perfect for classic rock and blues more than anything. It doesn't seem to like really high gain as much. But that could be for any number of reasons.

the sd custom is great for that. I think i'm gonna use just 25.5 inch necks for new builds. Warmoth makes the bodies for 25.5 inch, as they've always claimed. we just didnt read properly, I guess. by using a fender-scale, they can have a 24.75'' conversion-neck for these guitars, but at the cost that the bridgepickup is NOT at the sweet spot. using a 25.5 inch will solve it. Using squeeling pickups (with a conversion neck) and a very, VERY good pinching technique, shóuld give us the pinch harmonics we're used to on normal les pauls.

@nononsensetele: I think that one is also a 25.5'' body. use a 25.5'' neck, and you're sorted. Warmoth didnt do anything wrong. we just assúmed things, and didnt read properly.

Orpheo said:
the sd custom is great for that. I think i'm gonna use just 25.5 inch necks for new builds. Warmoth makes the bodies for 25.5 inch, as they've always claimed. we just didnt read properly, I guess. by using a fender-scale, they can have a 24.75'' conversion-neck for these guitars, but at the cost that the bridgepickup is NOT at the sweet spot. using a 25.5 inch will solve it. Using squeeling pickups (with a conversion neck) and a very, VERY good pinching technique, shóuld give us the pinch harmonics we're used to on normal les pauls.

@Nonsensetele: I think that one is also a 25.5'' body. use a 25.5'' neck, and you're sorted. Warmoth didnt do anything wrong. we just assumed things, and didnt read properly.

I knew it was made for 25,5", but I didn't think it would change the tone... I'm not going for 25,5", even more that the fretboard is already cut in 24,75"... I'm searching for 24,75" sound...

NonsenseTele said:
Orpheo said:

@Nonsensetele: I think that one is also a 25.5'' body. use a 25.5'' neck, and you're sorted. Warmoth didnt do anything wrong. we just assumed things, and didnt read properly.

I knew it was made for 25,5", but I didn't think it would change the tone... I'm not going for 25,5", even more that the fretboard is already cut in 24,75"... I'm searching for 24,75" sound...

I didnt notice the sound, only the looks. It's just a bit more difficult to make pinch harmonics, but thats it. you must have a good/better technique, thats it :)

Well all my guitars sound different which is what I want anyway. My LP can do more cool tones than any guitar I've had so it's very cool and useful for me. I've got a strat and my parker for other tones the LP can't do. If I ever do my Explorer I'll get it in 25.5 and a floyd and then I'll have all the tones I could ever want. The LP just isn't going to do a treb-ly metal sound as well as something else. Maybe if I got EMG's or something similar hehehe ;)

Ok! I'll keep it and put all the things I bought for this guitar... Bare Knuckle Mules, Oiled Papers capacitors and the hell out... hope it works fine

Going to a machetery school on august, will be able to use some machinary from there, probably to build the neck... Br Rosewood with Ziricote...

Orpheo said:
you must have a good/better technique, thats it :)

That's the problem  :sad: I'm rough

Complaining about Warmoth's dimensions/quality/execution/"tone" because you don't want to practice enough to be a good guitarist is pretty nutso, huh? :guitaristgif:

stubhead said:
Complaining about Warmoth's dimensions/quality/execution/"tone" because you don't want to practice enough to be a good guitarist is pretty nutso, huh? :guitaristgif:

have you played a Warmoth with a conversion neck?

Since this post started I have pulled out my Warmoth LP and my Gibson LP to run some sound checks.

My Gibson as an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck.

My Warmoth LP has a BKP Miracle Man in the bridge and a Mule in the front.  It has a conversion neck as well.

I played both through a Marshall JCM 800.

But had a great (but different) tone from the bridge pup.  Pinch harmonics were no problem with either guitar.  The Warmoth was a little brighter sounding then the Gibson.  In the neck position, the Gibson had a better tone at full volume, but if you roll off a little volume on the Warmoth, it actually sounded more in line with a clasic rock tone.  In the center position, the Warmoth has a killer sound once you roll the neck pup volume off just a touch.

I did notice the Gibson turned out to be my first choice for Drop D tuning.

Two different guitars...Two different tones... perfect. 

I haven't noticed any difference in playability due to the ToM/STP being in a slightly different position.  I noticed the difference as soon as I built the guitar, but I accept it as just that... a difference, nothing more.

I don't play high gain, but I could get pinch harmonics without difficulty on my strat w/ string-through TOM, even with medium gain.  Just for you guys... I don't generally use pinch harmonics when I play, mainly because I'm not consistent enough with them.

Back