tube screamers, what;s the difference?

bpmorton777

looks like there are 2 kinds of Ibanez tube screamers that you can buy in the stores. the TS808 and the TS9DX. What is the difference between the two? I havnt had a chance to check either out at the store yet so I dont know if they sound.

Brian

There are ten billion types of tube screamers.  I'm not much of a pedalhead myself, but IIRC the TS808s are "better."

IMO, if you're going to get a tube screamer, spend $50 more and get a modded one from either Analogman or Robert Keeley, or.... get a Maxon version.  The ibanez versions all use cheap componets, even the the "retro" ones.  The modded one use new old stock parts to actually turn them into true retro versions, plus they also tweak them a bit to simply sound better.

I have the Analogman Silver Option TS9 and it is FAR SUPPIER to the stock one.  Much clearer and much more musical(you can actually crank the tone up all the way), without as much mid range hump. 

erik

what about the kit from built your own clone?

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html

they any good?

Brian

I have a Keeley-modified TS-9 reissue. It's "supposed" to sound like the old TS-808. Personally, I don't think it sounds any better than it did before the mod was done, but the blue LED sure looks cool.
I've always liked the soft, smooth distortion of the Tube Screamer, but always disliked the loss of low-end when the pedal is switched "on". The Keeley mod is "supposed" to alleviate this low-end tone loss, but it still cuts the low-end...

bpmorton777 said:
what about the kit from built your own clone?

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html

they any good?

Brian

I've met the owner and most of his staff.  Great bunch of people and *very* helpful.  What I've heard of their stuff sounded good. 

They were in the booth next to us at the Gear & Guitar Bazaar.

Well I have the TS9 and I really like it and I was told my someone that worked at the Long and McQuade where I live that they are the exact same pedal in different cases so..

The BYOC one has all of what you'd want plus what to change to get what sound.  You socket the key components and then mess with it.  Asym clipping, different diodes (from red LED's to the germanium ones) different resistors for the bass response, the two different chips for the different models, all of it is there to mess with.  And some hints, like a brick to the head in subtlety, on how to mod it to get any of the modded versions.  If the parts do not come with it, Smallbear has the interesting alternatives.  It really is a great kit for the Tube Screamer experiment.  Ok, I'll end the advertisement now.
Patrick

sounds lke good advice. I was leaning toward the BYOC anyway cause I wanted another project to play with.

Brian

taez555 said:
The modded one use new old stock parts to actually turn them into true retro versions, plus they also tweak them a bit to simply sound better.

erik

Not always true. Keeley uses new Panasonic caps, and the JRC company never stopped making the 4558D IC, and both Mike and Ken use new ones. In fact somewhere on Keeley's site he says clearly that he hears no difference between the old and new chips. However, many of the original 808s and TS9s had a completely different chip-TA something something that has been out of production for a long time, and nobody seems to have them.
Moreover, older components had much looser tolerances generally, meaning that 2 808s made on the same day could sound very different. Both aforementioned guys stress that they use modern components where appropriate for consistent results in their mods.
The moral? Build your own using moderately good components and it will sound as good as an original, and you can mod it to your liking from the ground up.

Back