Tube amps

Well, if I was going to build one, I would have to make it crazy looking.  Like this:

resizecomet.jpg

Or like this:

BlueNautilus.jpg

I am another disciple of the build it yourself route.  No, there is no safety net, no, there is no guarantee, no, there is no eta on when you can crank it up, but...  If you like an amp, but want it to do something slightly different, it is possible.  If you'd like to build a cabinet like the ones above, totally up to you.  If you like two sets of electronics, say caps for tone purposes, you can add you own switch and have both.  If you want transformers from an extremely small dealer, blah blah blah.  You get it.  Next year I am going to build a Deluxe Reverb with the 63-64 Vibroverb Vibrato (tremolo) circuit (6G16) instead of the AB763 optoisolater circuit because I can.  I can add a Reverend knockoff speaker into it, and the Mercury magnetics power and output transformers.  Will it sound better than an off the shelf 65 Deluxe Reverb?  Dunno, don't care, it is a fun project.

As far as the, "might kill yourself," part, I built my first amp with a lot less knowledge and survived.  It is sort of like, I cooked dinner last night and didn't mortally wound myself with the chef's knife.  It is dangerous, yes, but most of the danger is when you don't respect the potential that is there. 

On the other hand, I know a number of people that just want it, and now, and want to go and play.  The end result will be fun, but I guess it is up to you if you want to take on the project of building it.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
.  Will it sound better than an off the shelf 65 Deluxe Reverb? 
As far as the, "might kill yourself," part, I built my first amp with a lot less knowledge and survived. 

What Patrick said.  And it will sound better... lots better.

Go on. Build one. You know you want.

You also have the luxury of knowing that if it ever breaks down, you know what's in it and how to fix it.

I have a Mesa Boogie .22 and a Peavey Classic 30, and the Peavey is the one I use most because it's so versatile - it goes from Fender cleans to Marshall roar. The Mesa picks up halfway there and goes more roar-y. The Peaveys are giant-killers - one of Bil Lawrence's favorite amp designs. Besides weight, another consideration is how fast it eats tubes. If you gig a lot, it can get expensive to replace tubes every six months, which is the case with some Marshalls. "Tube lore" is another entire new religion for you to investigate.....

You should definitely do it. You are a practical person with a sound head on yer shoulders and you love building stuff. You are some one who will learn massively, get enjoyment from the build process, get enjoyment from AND appreciate the final product.

There are loads of books you can read as research and there are loads of people on here who can guide you, troubleshoot and help explain the bits you don't understand.

Invariably it will work out similar price for a far far better amp, that you literally know inside and out.

Do it.  :icon_thumright:  :eek:ccasion14:

I tried a Fender Deluxe but did not get on with it at all. Sent it back.

I bought a Peavey Classic 50 4 x 10 instead. It is brilliant - great cleans - great drive. The only downside is its weight - almost 63 pounds. I have put castors on it but it is too heavy to get up stairs etc.

I also have an Orange Tiny Terror head. This is a 7 or 15 watt all-tube amp. I play it through a cheap (Ashdown Engineering) 4 x 12 cabinet. Sounds great.

I would like a smaller combo though. Looking at a Bogner Alchemist 1 x 12 at the moment.

"I tried a Fender Deluxe but did not get on with it at all. Sent it back."

That a re-issue? The problem I have with pretty much ALL Fender tube amps is that the stock Jensen speakers just frankly suck. That includes the re-issues and Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe and other series.

My sage advice is always to gut those out and install Vintage 30's

What Jack said, unless you can find an Eminence 12ALK used someplace in nice shape - it out Jensen's the originals.... fantastic speaker up to 30w though.

Fender has used constipated speakers for years.  The Jensens do suck.  They do.  They're made by Sica and they just... they're terrible.  But they got the name.  They are nothing like the originals.  Fender sells the name.

I like Vintage 30's, and the now discontinued Vintage 12/60w speaker - which was the slightly looser version of the V30, with just a touch better bottom (and it was called the "silver series" too, as in cheaper...NOT).  The old H series 12 was a huge huge mondo bottom.  The new one is good, but not as good.  They also have a new 10 inch greenback (oh boy!~).  Celestion is by far the best speaker out there, no matter the price, available new today.  A good set of old D120's is still hard to beat though - used by the likes of Wes Montgomery all the way to Dickey Betts, and all points in between.

Hey also, FWIW.....

As a grand gesture, I have offered to donate some basic materials such as - board, turrets, eyelets, push back wire, resistors, etc... to Hannaugh's amp project, if she gets off her keister and decides what to do. 

I'm saying this - in hopes of spurring some other folks, who are over stocked in oddball items, to make a similar gesture toward the future of tube amps and the newer generation of players.

Many thanks for your indulgence.

Yes in fact REAL Micarta, not the imitation (off brand).  I've got it in two thicknesses - thicker for the board, and thinner for the below-board insulator....although, its better just to raise the main board up on standoffs in my later way of thinking.

I went out to a Russian supplier and managed to not get taken on the price for a good lot of Russian made solid core push back wire.  I think its nicer than the old USA stuff, as its double layer.  Really nice to work with.

Sorry no carbon comp resistors.

The turrets and eyelets are the standard fare from Mouser. 

I'm really low on things like pots and pilot lites... so cant do any of those, my regrets. 

I dont have a ton of board either, but if any one needs some eyelets or turrets... oh boy... contact me.

Very Gracious.  In the same spirit, I've got a pilot light and if you like EL84s I can donate a chassis as well.  The chassis is new - they were custom made for me by hammond, are black powder coated and quite nice.  I've only got a few left.

Ya gotta pay for shipping / customs charges though Hannaugh!

Hey Hannaugh, you could always get some wild maple boards and dye them blue with a blue burst and get some creme piping for the seams.  :icon_thumright:

Back