truss rod adjustment

-CB- said:
Keep in mind - the person in that video above is not really... doing things as they need to be done.

#1.  Checking the relief at fret 12.  Usually, its done at a fret midway (in distance) between the first and last fret.  About fret 8 on a Fender neck.  You don't use the "last fret" on all necks either.  On many (most?) acoustics, its fret #1 and the fret where the neck joins the body.  This is because acoustics have a fretboard overhang that has no adjustment at all (and is a source of @#$@# pain in older guitars).

#2.  Having (and I quote the video) "a millimeter or two" at fret 12 is absolutely too much relief.  That would be from .039 (1mm) to .078 (2mm), which would be .040 to about .080 at fret 8.  TOTALLY too much.  You want (depending on your playing aggressiveness) about .010, or the thickness of your high E.  HINT:  take a snippet of high E string and use it as a gauge (doh!).  Capo fret 1, not too tight, then depress fret 20, 21, 22 whatever, and pass the "gauge" under the low E at fret 8.  Adjust accordingly.

'Sorry, I didn't watch the whole video. That's not the way I do the adjustment. I also don't use feeler gauges. It's a "feel" thing, and I am very good at it...

I check the neck relief at fret 6 and at fret 8...I set it for minimal forward bow. Then, I set the string height to 1/16" at the 12th fret. If the guitar is not a piece of $#!t, it will play great like that...

Ha, I always have to think about it forever before I actually turn the wrench too!

I do believe it's turn left (Counterclockwise) to cure a backbow, and right (clockwise) for a forward bow.

That's as simple as I can make it.

but for the sake of God... TURN SLOW!! Don't go cranking that truss rod everywhere.

JamesL said:
Ha, I always have to think about it forever before I actually turn the wrench too!

I do believe it's turn left (Counterclockwise) to cure a backbow, and right (clockwise) for a forward bow.

but for the sake of God... TURN SLOW!! Don't go cranking that truss rod everywhere.

You got that backwards. Turning it clockwise will flatten the neck, while counter-clockwise increases the amount of forward bow (basically relieves the rod  tension so that the string tension can pull the neck forward)...

right like he said - counter-clockwise fixes a back bow (loosening the truss rod so it can have forward relief) - -and clockwise flattens the neck, as he said curing a forward bow.

T.L. said:
JamesL said:

You got that backwards. Turning it clockwise will flatten the neck, while counter-clockwise increases the amount of forward bow (basically relieves the rod  tension so that the string tension can pull the neck forward)...

exactly why he said he had to think about it for a while before he did anything

I went to my local shop to have them adjust my truss rod.  they were great about showing me what they were doing and what to look for while doing it, and the best part is that they didn't even charge me anything!

okay here it is super simple.

1. string it up and play it for a couple days, let everything get settled.
2. capo 1, finger on high E highest fret, stick the leftover end piece of a .010 string between the top of the 7th fret (6,8, whatever) and the string. The gap should be just that size - tiny but there. Forget that video.
3. It'll probably be too  much relief rather than not enough. I've had to tighten each of my warmoth necks.
4. SO, detune a bit. turn your truss rod adjuster maybe 1/4 turn clockwise. tune it back up. let it sit for an hour. check it again, if may look the same, may be a touch straighter.
5. repeat as needed. My most recent build needed about 3/4 turn on the rod. You can mark the rod position with a crayon or something if you like, just for reference.
6. never force the rod, it may feel firm but should be too hard to turn. you're very unlikely to break anything following these directions.

This is the best thread ever.  Newlyweds are always so hopeful.  Before you know it she's complaining about all the guitars you have, and how much you look at guitar stuff on the web and on the pot.  Then comes the real kicker...kids.  I love my kids to death but they really put a crimping on your playing time.  All I've got to say is that you better f'n buckle up for the ride.  First your wallet and then your soul.  And by the way, in the amount of time you've spent looking at this thread you could have just taken your build to a tech and had the truss adjusted.  That means you could be rocking out with your new bundle of Warmoth joy right now.  The guy at the local shop here adjusted mine (it was super close right out of the box) for free and was really helpful at showing me what to look for, something that was great because I can't learn stuff like that from reading message board posts and such.  Real time answers to my ?'s are always great too!

I know amps are better than women, they never mind when you play with another amp, never complain when you rest a beer on top of em, and dont even mind riding in the trunk when you want your guitar in the front seat with you.  Plus, the knobs on the amp actually do something.....

My wife doesn't mind if I play with another amp, just as long as I don't buy another damn guitar!!!

hey yer amp dont even mind if you play with two or three amps... all at the same time!~~

Dude, wife and kids will always be more important than music. And I dont drink, so theres no need to rest my urine.....i mean beer anywhere.

P.S the knobs on the wife will actually do something if you know how to turn them the right way.

John, not to get all serious, but we kid around a lot on this forum. Take it all very, very lightly please.  :eek:ccasion14:

I've been married for almost 7 years (will be 7 in June), have a 5 year old son and a 1 2/3 year old daughter.  I can say unequivocally that marrying my wife was the best thing I ever did.  My life is far happier with her and the kids than it ever was, or could have been, with out her.  Still, that doesn't mean she isn't bat shit crazy :)  She is a woman after all.  Expecting logic from a Woman is like expecting it to start raining fishes.  I just realize that her idiosyncrasies balance my idiosyncrasies out to a point where we both operate as full sane individuals - mostly.  :)

Back