true oil finish - what do i need?

vtpcnk

how many bottles of tru oil do i need for finish a tele neck (all maple) and body (alder or swampash)?

how many coats do i need apply for the neck and body (for a decent finish)?

what other supplies do i need - pls do not presume i have anything and pls list everything that i would need.

appreciate the feedback.

how many bottles of tru oil do i need for finish a tele neck (all maple) and body (alder or swampash)?
It depends on you application technique.  For me, a small bottle for the neck, and a large bottle for the body.

how many coats do i need apply for the neck and body (for a decent finish)?
For the maple neck, minimum four, max, make up your own mind, but it won't be more than 20.  I do ten.

what other supplies do i need - pls do not presume i have anything and pls list everything that i would need.
Some paper towels, marbles, for the ash, grain filler .... try doing a search of the archives for more info, and if you're confused, ask.

appreciate the feedback.
You're welcome

>marbles, for the ash, grain filler

what are these for?

isn't it enough if i soak a bit of cloth in true oil, wring it a bit, then rub it on the wood, then gently wipe any excess off and let it dry?

Keep in mind that with any oil finish, you'll want to keep a bottle of it around in case the finish ever gets scratched or worn down.

>marbles, for the ash, grain filler
Marbles: When you use the tru-oil, the bottle volume of liquid will go down.  To bring the volume back up to the top, use marbles, otherwise a skin will form on the top of the liquied.

For ash, grain filler:  Some woods are very smooth, like maple and alder, others, like mahogany and ash have pores.  If you want a smooth finish, use a grain filler.

isn't it enough if i soak a bit of cloth in true oil, wring it a bit, then rub it on the wood, then gently wipe any excess off and let it dry?
No, use the tip of your finger as an applicator, then do the rub off process.

Try looking at this:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm

Try googling the internet, there's a lot of stuff and lots of opinions on this.  Then make up your own mind.

>For ash, grain filler:  Some woods are very smooth, like maple and alder, others, like mahogany and ash have pores.  If you want a smooth >finish, use a grain filler.

i remember from childhood, the a carpenter who used to work in my house used to have a clay like mallaeable thing which he would take pieces off, to fill out any dents/nicks etc in the wood.

is this what is the grain filler?

Probably, but you'll need something more sophisticated.  At this point you have to start doing your project yourself and making your own mistakes.  Virtual experience will only get you so far. 

So just get the parts and finishing materials you think you'll need, and do it.  If we give you any more information, you'll know too much and we'll have to kill you.

>Virtual experience will only get you so far

but it can tell me what all i need to do and what all i need to watch out for - nothing wrong in being prepared imo.

That stuff you saw the carpenter use is probably wood filler. It's quite different from grain filler. Wood filler fills nail holes and other imperfections before painting. Grain filler is usually a liquid which fills the pours of the wood before painting. There's plenty of info out there on both products and how to use them.

vtpcnk said:
>Virtual experience will only get you so far

but it can tell me what all i need to do and what all i need to watch out for - nothing wrong in being prepared imo.

Real world experience is still better at telling you what you need and what you need to watch out for.

If you're very concerned, buy and strip a super cheap guitar and do a test run on it.

>If you're very concerned, buy and strip a super cheap guitar and do a test run on it.

but no guitar in a shop is going to be unfinished right?

or better should i ask warmoth or somebody to give me a piece of wood so that i can first test the finish on it and then do it on the actual body/neck?

vtpcnk said:
>If you're very concerned, buy and strip a super cheap guitar and do a test run on it.

but no guitar in a shop is going to be unfinished right?
That's why you strip it.

vtpcnk said:
or better should i ask warmoth or somebody to give me a piece of wood so that i can first test the finish on it and then do it on the actual body/neck?
Go to a lumberyard or hardware store.

Back