Tru-Oil vs Wudtone for Maple Neck

JohnL

I've ordered a plain maple neck for my tele build. I had planned on using Tru-Oil, but I have been informed the neck warranty is void if I use an oil based finish. This may also be true of Wudtone.

I read another thread where many have had good results with Tru-Oil. So, does anyone feel there is an advantage to using a Wudtone product other than the color choices? (I think the Tru-Oil will give me enough color.)

The Wudtone website is remarkably unhelpful when it comes to useful information about what the products actually ARE vs. how totally awesome they are and how much more toneful your guitar will be if you use them.  In short, short on data, long on hype.

But! 

The BYO Guitar website through which Wudtone products are marketed in the USA suggest there is an oil-based lacquer component to the Wudtone neck finish.  This in turn suggests the Wudtone products form a hard(ish) film that will suffice to satisfy Warmoth's warranty requirements.  If you're in doubt, I would drop an email or call Warmoth to be certain.

I'll say this - the price of the Wudtone products is quite high for what you get.  These guys appear to me to simply be capitalizing on the superior margins available selling to a specialty market.  If you're already up for doing the finish yourself, you can probably achieve the same result with Minwax or similar products tinted to taste.

Yes, I've noticed the same. Pricey for what you get. Think I may stay with the Tru-Oil. Easy to use and it should give me enough color with the Minwax color I'm using on the body.

Keep in mind Tru Oil will build a film, unlike most oils.  Having been here for almost a decade, I can’t recalll a single person having a neck Warrantee issue with Tru Oil

You've been here longer than a decade. You registered September 22, 2007. Like the frogs say - time's fun when you're having flies  :icon_biggrin:

Back