Tru-oil build up at masking areas?

Goober

I am building my first Warmoth Strat (of my dreams). I am going to Tru-Oil the maple neck, the Pau Ferro fretboard will be masked with 3m Scotchblue Painter's Tape Advanced Delicate Surface.

My question is: Will I get Tru-Oil build up at the edge of the tape and if so should I remove the tape between coats and to aid in any build while I am wire wooling? I Also worry if the mask is not perfect I will get Tru-Oil seeping into the edge of the Pau Ferro making it scrappy looking on the fretboard side.

I don't intend to use any dyes or any other form of sealer just the true oil. As far as I can tell for trawling through the many great threads this is more than enough.

Martin

hmmm finding it difficult to source that particular tape in the U.K.. Then again I sourced my guitar parts from Warmoth as I could not find quite what I wanted in the UK. Seems the U.S. is the place to be :p

I just finished (well, in the last couple months) a Warmoth maple Les Paul neck with a Pau Ferro fingerboard.
Didn't use any tape, as I also finished the side of the fingerboard with Tru-Oil. It looks fantastic. No lines and is perfectly smooth.

A tru-oil finish is pretty even due to thinness of the oil, but the occasional steel wooling between coats and after the final coat should alleviate any build up. 

I did a neck in tru-oil and masked the fingerboard.  In retrospect I wish I had not - the oil got under the masking right at the frets via capillary action and I could not tell, so now there's the very slightest bit of tru-oil on the fingerboard on about six frets.

Thank you all for your replies.

My plan was not to just mask the front of the fretboard, but the sides as well which should avoid the Capillary action seepage. I am concerned I would get a build up of cured oil between the neck back and where it was masked.

Interesting that a neck was T^ru oiled with no mask on the Pau Ferro, and the Tru-Oil only was only used on the side of the fretboard. Would not have considered that as I would have thought gravity and thin oil combined might have slightly ruined the fretboard face epically where frets are in a few places.

Martin

I am at the same point with my build, about to Tru-Oil a Warmoth Jazz neck, Maple with Rosewood fingerboard.
I have quite a few guitars  and all the necks that have rosewood fingerboards have finish on the side. I was going to mask the top of the fingerboard but now I am worried about Capillary action seepage.

I actually had some buildup on the fingerboard on the last neck I finished.  I'm pretty sure this is a result of storing the neck on its face while the finish was curing.  Note to self not to do that again.

Thankfully I can clean it off the fingerboard as I roll the frets and edge of the fingerboard.

Back