trouble with planet waves auto-trim locking tuners

slowist

Just bought a set of planet waves auto-trim locking tuners. They work great on my esp eclipse but I'm having trouble with the tuning buttons. I've never liked the tuning buttons that they come with from a visual perspective on a les paul style guitar, the eclipse originally came with tulip tuner buttons, which I liked a lot because they looked like les paul buttons, but in chrome instead of cream. When I tried to take the tulip buttons off of the old tuners and put them on the planet waves I found that they wouldn't fit, Never encountered this problem before so I'm not sure what to do. The shafts of the tuners seem to be to big to fit normal buttons, any solutions besides just leaving them the way they are?

There's nothing standard about tuner buttons. There are some that are interchangeable out there, but you can't count on that always being true. Also, with the Auto-Trim tuners, they may be purposefully different due to the amount of torque expected at the cutoff point. I just installed a set on a customer's guitar and was surprised all over again how hard you have to reef on the things to cut the strings, especially the heavier ones. I suspect many buttons, especially the plastic ones, would strip right away.

If it was me, I'd convince myself I don't really like tulip-style buttons after all.

Back