TronePros Locking Tune-O-Matic Bridge Doesn't Fit

jtroska

:icon_scratch:

I ordered the TonePros Locking Bridge for my LP project.  I know there are different sizes but I ordered the only one size available through the Warmoth site.  I figured it HAD to fit their guitars.  But I can't get the studs into the holes Warmoth routed.

I guess I should have spent the extra $10 to have Warmoth install the studs.  But I really thought I just had to hammer them in.  How hard could that be?  But the studs seem to be a size too big for the hole.  :-\  Anybody get through this?  Is there a better technique than hammering? 

Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong in regards to LP studs, but for my Jazzmaster I just used tightly rolled up sandpaper to remove some of the finish that enlarged the stud holes, take it slowly and make sure you don't enlarge them too much, patience is key here. Then just insert the studs with a bit of pressure - if you must use a hammer, be very careful and use a LOT of padding. Hope this helps.

-Octavian

What about rubbing a little candle wax in the entrance of the stud hole?  That's what I did to get them to pound in a little easier.

sounds a little dirty i guess :doh:

Never mind.  I was being too cautious and not using enough muscle.  I just had to pound it in.  I got one in ok so far.  But I've been working on this project for a couple of hours (doing other things) and I'm going to put it away and start with a fresh head tomorrow.  I don't want to ruin something because I'm over-worked.

Anybody know how to attach that ground wire to the stud?  It's so tight in there, I'm guessing I can just run the bare ground wire in through the designated entrance hole and squash it down with the tight stud.  That should hold it in place fine, I think.  What do people usually do?

Bare 1" of the ground wire along the side of the insert then you press fit the insert sandwhiching the bare wire between the wood and outside wall of the insert. That's how we do it at Warmoth.

Gregg Stewart said:
Bare 1" of the ground wire along the side of the insert then you press fit the insert sandwhiching the bare wire between the wood and outside wall of the insert. That's how we do it at Warmoth.

Thanks.  That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to try.  I ordered a book through the Warmoth web site so that should help as such questions arise.

Back