Traditional ?!? Output Jack on a King V body

Patrick from Davis

I was curious if anyone has done this.  I believe that Jackson originally routed out a flat spot on the back side of the body on the upper horn and then added a jack there.  Difficult to describe, but it appeared that the back side of the body would have a notch, if you will, and the output jack went there.  I have heard, perhaps run across, people routing a strat jack holder on the edge of the guitar.  Then there needs to be a hole from that to the rear bridge pickup and then it can be wired to the control cavity.  I'll have some time, and a V body coming in the near future, so if any one has any resources for doing this, I'd like to know.  I was also kicking around the idea of having the control cover plate with a strat jack holder route on it, and just sneak the cord there.  Dunno, doesn't seem like there would be much space in the cavity for 2 vols & a Tone, with a switch and then that whole mess on top of it.  Just kind of kicking the tires on ideas here, and was hoping that someone else had a little direction.  It sure would be nice if it were an option, but, yeah I get it.  It is a lot of work for one out of every 10,000 guitar bodies...
Patrick

Manufacturing wise, I think it would be easier if the "V" type of body (my TFS6 would apply) were to have a lam top, and a channel routed in the body blank prior to the top being added. 

This way, a long drill bit and precise aiming wouldn't be such a risk.  It would also make for a shorter path to/from the control cavity.

I've always liked this option, even on the more stratty shaped bodies like the way ESP does it.  It just aims the cable away from your, towards your strap where you're going to loop it through anyway.

What I know about the V's is minimal. I think the Strat jack plate is a good idea, as long as you can drill it correctly. Can it go in the inside edge of the wing up closer to the pickups?

I have a Warmoth V body project in the works. It's the last of the old, top-routed Vs. I'm installing a Strat jack in the lower wing by adapting the existing jack hole. The wood is white Korina and I just very carefully sculpted an ovoid rout for the jackplate to settle into. It was real easy with a Dremel and steel mill bits. I'm certain this is the best solution because it allows the cord to run back, along the wing, rather than straight out of the hole at a 90 degree angle.

I don't really like right-angle plugs on my guitar cords.

On the body I want to get it would be string through with the recessed TOM, so there is a limit to where you can put the jack plate.  I was looking for plexi routing guides for a strat jack plate and failed there too.  I made a guide for the B Bender, I suppose I can make another...  It might be worth it to see if it can be snuck behind the string through area, but close to the cavity similar to how a strat is normally.  I'm not looking forward to trying to drill an 8-15" hole through the body to make the upper wing the option.  We shall see.
Patrick

Back