Toxic woods...

Mugician

Anyone know where that post went? I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be stickied, but I can't find it. It was a whole post (or a link, I can't remember) about which woods are toxic etc.

I really need the reference right now.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3443.0
there's one

this may also help
http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

Google "wood dust allergies" and "wood dust toxicity" and you'll find near-Biblical amounts of information.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&hs=6pq&q=wood+dust+toxicity&revid=2131272964&ei=7UrsSZGoGsuLtgesz9nLBQ&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=4

It's like any other allergy - some people don't have it, some people have died, and anywhere in between. Repeated, long exposure sensitizes people who are prone, and some woods set just about everybody a-itchin'... a number of luthiers have retired or quit using certain woods, or use masks, goggles & long sleeves, wash their work clothes separate etc. It's definitely real.

Hmm......can't believe I didn't think of this before now....I'm allergic to walnuts....badly....like if I ate a walnut and didn't get to the hospital ASAP I could die. 

I'm planning a walnut body/maple neck P-bass build.....I wonder if this is a bad idea?  :icon_scratch: haha. 

Now I need to go research and find out if the wood has the same allergen properties as the nuts.  Damn it.  :dontknow:

Aaron Gein said:
Hmm......can't believe I didn't think of this before now....I'm allergic to walnuts....badly....like if I ate a walnut and didn't get to the hospital ASAP I could die. 

I'm planning a walnut body/maple neck P-bass build.....I wonder if this is a bad idea?   :icon_scratch: haha. 

Now I need to go research and find out if the wood has the same allergen properties as the nuts.  Damn it.  :dontknow:
Personally, I'd skip the Internet research and speak to an Allergist so your question can be answered about specifically you and your needs. 

Otherwise just to be on the safe side, I'd pick a different wood.  It isn't worth the rash if you don't know.

Or buy a piece of walnut wood from the hardware store and check in controlled circumstances.  Sand the corners off, or make something out of it for fun and see what happens.  Just take precautions so nothing horrible happens.
Patrick

I doubt that drilling a few holes is going to trigger anything, unless you actively SNORT the sawdust... rosewood is actually high on the list of allergy-triggering, danger woods, but I've never seen any warning against guitarists using a rosewood fingerboard. Obviously, it's  a problem with particulates, and what turns guitars into particles?!?
Hopefully, not the way you play them.... :party07:
Unless you play with your teeth a la Hendrix and get hyper-stimulated and start EATING your guitar, it's probably OK to merely play a dangerwood guitar. :cool01: Final sanding and finishing might be iffy.

Back