total Noob

bigdaddy

Been drooling over the Warmoth web site and some of the pics in here ( the guy with that GORGEOUS blue flame maple LP really needs to ditch the amber knobs) and it sounds like I just found my first project. I think the best post I read on here so far is that a guy should start with a really cheapo guitar, tear it completely apart and be able to make it sound better before he even thinks about a custom project.

Well, tomorrow I meet up with a fellow who has something even better for sale, an actual Warmoth body and a bag o miscellaneous parts for sale at a right fair price. Everything to make a geetar but a neck, tuners, strings and a couple o' pots. I'll be reading even more and looking for answers to lots o' questions as I get this underway.

Here's the first one: is it better to remove an old finish mechanically or chemically? Eventually. I'll end up with Deft  or Cabot lacquer from a can over some sort of stain...

This should be fun. I get a project, another guitar in the house and I won't have a ton o' dough in it so I can get my kids pickin' at an early age....

BigDaddy  :glasses9:

Welcome to the board! sounds like a fun project..

oh and hey, that guy is our forum gal you're talking about... (the one and only)

You need to know what kind of finish is on this body... some guys here had good results on poly-urethane using a heat gun :)

Hey welcome. One good tip is to start browsing the 'screamin deals' every day with your credit card handy, looking for the right neck for your project. I got one of my best necks that way for $135. Frankly I would not want to buy a neck on ebay unless I got a great deal and was comfortable taking a risk - with a neck, you're asking the same "used car question" - if it's so good, why are you selling? With a body any flaws are easier to spot in pictures.

Never used a chemical peel, though my dad says it's easy. Here's a thread that might turn you off of sanding forever: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2150.0

oops on the him/her. my apologies...

tfarny, that turned out pretty durn good to my eye. What's ya have about 10 hours into sanding?

Check out how Tonar deals with an old finnish

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7401.msg93443#msg93443

And By the way, he knows his ........you know.

Yep. I saw that after I posted. First question, answered. Good thing I look sexy in those gloves...  :eek:

bigdaddy said:
Yep. I saw that after I posted. First question, answered. Good thing I look sexy in those gloves...  :eek:
Yes because this board is over abundant with women.  :laughing7:

( Sarcasm, not implying anything mischievous)

bigdaddy said:

On the interwebz, I find it's best to assume that everyone is male, even after they claim to be female.  Things just work out better for everyone.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
bigdaddy said:
roflbot-jtqn.jpg

On the interwebz, I find it's best to assume that everyone is male, even after they claim to be female.  Things just work out better for everyone.

-Mark

ROFLMAO Max, lol you shouldn't be reading that stuff, your too young, but that right there is some funny shite, I don't care who you are.

Hell I've got kids older than you that shouldn't be reading that stuff, But i know they do.....

Haha, I just noticed this thread.  Yeah, I'm the one girl here.  Maybe I should change my signature or my avatar or something so it says "I'M A GIRL".

Once again, I feel compelled to defend my amber knobs (wow that sounds funny).  The blue finish isn't all blue.  It's hard to see in pictures, but the wood top has hints of amber wood grain in it, and the knobs really set that off and make the whole thing look warmer and more complete.  If you guys could see it in person, you would understand.

3347299833_3504b92bc7.jpg

3348136390_da29ac493a.jpg

hannaugh said:
"I'M A GIRL".

Once again, I feel compelled to defend my amber knobs (wow that sounds funny).
Lola..
l. o. l. a.
lola.
lo lo lo lo lola/

/Walks like a woman, talks like a man.

Back