Toronto

Kublai

Anybody know much about Toronto? Where the party neighborhoods are? Decent place to stay for a couple of days? Any must-see spots?

I am going with an old friend on a "Rush" pilgrimage. So, any Rush related landmarks would be good. I already have a short list of some places. YYZ, Orbit Room, Massey Hall, Danforth and Pape intersection, a short trek to St Catharines to see Lakeside Park, and a few others. Yea, I know....I am a geek. But it will be fun!

Hey there!

Toronto (and outskirts) has been home for the last 15 or so years, so I think I know the city pretty well ...  :glasses9:

Places to see:  really depends on what you're into, but the obvious ones that come to mind are the CN Tower, distillary district, ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), and the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Party spots have also changed a bit since I was a young'un ... but the Queen Street strip is a good bet.  The live clubs there are the Horseshoe, The Rivoli, The 360, and a few others.  If you're into dance music  :icon_scratch: those clubs are a little farther south on a street called Richmond.

Places to stay:  never had too, I got my own place  :toothy10:  As long as you're downtown, pretty much any hotel is nice.  When you get on the fringes of downtown (west end ... an area called Parkdale), things get a little dicey.  I know there's a Day's Inn right around the corner from where I work on College Street, that's probably not too expensive.  I you got the cash to blow, though, stay at the Royal York.

One interesting Rush story from an engineer buddy (and mentor) of mine:
There 's a recording studio downtown called Manta Sound (now closed, unfortunately) that was home to Canada's largest studio floor (at the time) ... they could record up to a 200 piece orchestra.  Anyway, Rush had some time booked there to record either Farewell to Kings, or Permanent Waves (forget which).  At the time, Manta was THE place for commercial jingle sessions.  They decided one day to bump Rush's session in favor of a commercial client, thinking that one day wouldn't bother anybody.  Well, it did.  Rush cancelled the rest of their time, packed up and went to Le Studio, which is about an hour north of Montreal in a town called Morin Heights.  They vowed that they would never record in Toronto again after that incident, and their next 3 records were indeed done at Le Studio.

AndyG said:
One interesting Rush story from an engineer buddy (and mentor) of mine:
There 's a recording studio downtown called Manta Sound (now closed, unfortunately) that was home to Canada's largest studio floor (at the time) ... they could record up to a 200 piece orchestra.   Anyway, Rush had some time booked there to record either Farewell to Kings, or Permanent Waves (forget which).  At the time, Manta was THE place for commercial jingle sessions.  They decided one day to bump Rush's session in favor of a commercial client, thinking that one day wouldn't bother anybody.  Well, it did.  Rush cancelled the rest of their time, packed up and went to Le Studio, which is about an hour north of Montreal in a town called Morin Heights.   They vowed that they would never record in Toronto again after that incident, and their next 3 records were indeed done at Le Studio.

Pwned!  That's why you never mess with Geddy.  :party07:

Kublai said:
Anybody know much about Toronto? Where the party neighborhoods are? Decent place to stay for a couple of days? Any must-see spots?

I am going with an old friend on a "Rush" pilgrimage. So, any Rush related landmarks would be good. I already have a short list of some places. YYZ, Orbit Room, Massey Hall, Danforth and Pape intersection, a short trek to St Catharines to see Lakeside Park, and a few others. Yea, I know....I am a geek. But it will be fun!

Why don't I have friends like that?

Man, 5 of my best friends over the last 25 years or so are all Rush fanatics. Even though we are scattered around the country, we always meet up somewhere for a show when they go on tour. Just two of us are going on this trip, but I am looking forward to it.

+1 on Queens Street.  +1 on the Horseshoe Tavern.  Many a good Toronto band got their start at this dive - including Rush.

Another good place is the Bamboo on Queen.  Good good and a good place to see the alternative bands that I like.

Back