Top Loading Bridge for 24" Scale Guitar?

Merlin193

I would like to put a top loading bridge (ABM 3250, Schaller 475 or suggestions.) on a Warmoth Mustang body. I love the ergonomics and 24" scale of the Mustang style Guitar, and will create my own tone. My question is will I be able to create enough string tension using top loading bridge on a 24" scale length guitar and #10,11,or maybe #12 strings. I know this is subjective question. As I have grown older I have dropped from #10s to 9s and now some 8s on some guitars. I have Guitars in all scale lengths.  I am looking for that light weight easy playing comfort guitar in my aging years. If top loading would not work, the ABM will do body string thru or top loading. I would just as soon not have to drill string tru holes. I am not worried about loss of sustain, I have my own thoughts on that.  I do want a guitar in this body style and scale length with a hard tail bridge of some type and would prefer top loading.  I thought of buying a new Fender Mustang and swapping out the pickups, tuners, and bridge but I be into it for almost what it will cost me to build what I really want.

The original Mustang tremolo tail is a top-loader, as is the Jaguar (same 24" scale), so I don't think you'll have a tension problem.  You could always try a shim if your tension isn't what you want it to be.

Also, just as a point of interest, there are more than a few Fender Mustang models available with a hardtail through-body bridge.  I know you said you prefer top-loaders, but my impression was that you just wanted to avoid having to drill your own through-holes.  Current Mustang offerings are also fairly inexpensive (depending on your location, I guess), so I don't know that you would actually be into it for as much as a parts guitar will run you.  It depends on a lot of things.

Not trying to discourage, just stating facts.

Doesn't matter how the strings load. They have to come to a certain tension based on their gauge and speaking length. The extra length from various mounting schemes means nothing. You could wrap them all the way around the body and back up to the neck before anchoring, and they'd still have to come to the proper tension for the frequency you want them to vibrate at. So, use the bridge that makes you happy.

Sovereign_13

Like I stated in my post.  I had pondered getting a Fender Mustang and upgading it.  I have played a Mustang and would want to upgrade the pickups, bridge, and add locking tuners.  That ups the cost quite a bit, and I still would not have what I desire. For a little more money I get what I want. I like how adaptive the Warmoth Mustang body and pickup guard are.  The way it is routed, I can have any pickup type, combination. and orientation I want.  I get the body,neck,fretboard I want. Way more options for building what most likely will be my last guitar, I want it to be a keeper.  I want it to intonate, be stable,stay in tune, and keep me warm on these cold Montana nights.  HA,HA,HA.

Do what I did, you won't be sorry. String tension isn't any problem.

151981008685600900_resized.jpg

Back