Tone Pot Kills Volume

jalane

So I rewired my daphne blue strat last night.  I swapped the pots with lefty cts's, shielded the cavity/pickguard, put in a new cap, and switched to cloth wire.  when i put it all back together, everything worked wonderfully....EXCEPT that the middle pot (controlling neck p'up tone) is acting as a volume pot instead of a tone pot. 

Now i know that the most common reason for this is incorrect wiring of the cap, but i double and triple checked and my cap is wired correctly.  I should also add that the tone pot for the middle p'up works exactly as it should. 

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

One thing i thought might be the culprit is that i didn't ground the tone pots.  I've always been a little confused about this, as some diagrams call for it and some don't because it supposedly creates a ground loop.  But i think (though i could be wrong) that since the pickguard is shielded, shouldn't that ground the pots?  Even if they weren't properly grounded, could that be the problem?

Can you take a photo for us?  I suspect that the third leg of the tone pot is somehow grounded.

Mayfly, i was about to post the diagram i was using to show you and i figured out what i did wrong.  You were right, and it's actually a pretty obvious mistake, i'm surprised i didn't catch it before. 

I wired one leg of the cap through the lug and then to ground, with the other leg going to the other pot.  :doh:

I should have wired one leg of the cap to the lug, the other leg to ground, and then connected the cap lug to a lug on the other pot.

Chalk it up to it being really late when i was wiring it last night.  Also, i have this bad habit of drinking wine while wiring... 

That's ok, I have this habit of drinking when doing most everything  :icon_thumright:

mayfly said:
That's ok, I have this habit of drinking when doing most everything  :icon_thumright:
I thought your drinking days were over, since we haven't heard about beer being spit on your computer lately  :laughing7:

Max said:
mayfly said:
I thought your drinking days were over, since we haven't heard about beer being spit on your computer lately  :laughing7:

The first step is admitting you have a problem.  :eek:ccasion14:

ErogenousJones said:
Max said:
mayfly said:

The second step is celebrating the bravery of your admission by going out and getting piss drunk...  :eek:ccasion14:  :eek:ccasion14:

jalane said:
ErogenousJones said:
Max said:
mayfly said:

The second step is celebrating the bravery of your admission by going out and getting piss drunk...  :eek:ccasion14:   :eek:ccasion14:

The third step is going to an AA meeting to remind yourself why you drink <grin>

Back