Tone of korina + koa?

justie

Just wondering if anybody ever tried a black korina body with a koa top before. Since both are supposedly warm sounding woods, using it for both core and top, would it sound too warm and thick? Should I try adding a solid pau ferro neck to balance it out a little? I got the idea for this combination here.
http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/084/default.htm

Firstly, Warmoth say that the thin laminate tops don't affect sound. So it'll sound like BK.

Secondly, adding a warm wood top to a warm wood body isn't going to make it any warmer. Think about it - you wouldn't think that adding a BK top to a BK body was going to make it warmer, would you, and they're both warm woods.

I'll tell ya what the tone is....HEAVY.  Korina ain't light, unless you do a hollow or chambered...But they look kick ass together..And like Jumble says, tops are too thin to make any contribution to tone..
VW-koa.jpg

VW-back.jpg

Could u elaborate on what u mean by the tone is heavy? like mahogany heavy? How does chambering help it? That is a bloody awesome looking guitar there btw. Especially that koa top! OMG!!

DangerousR6 said:
NQbass7 said:
He meant heavy as in it weighs a lot. Chambering helps because it makes it lighter.
Took the words right outta my mouth.... :icon_thumright:

Is it heavier than mahogany?  I'm thinking about a jazzmaster body and I'm looking for the guitar to weigh 8-9 pounds.

You can find light & heavy bodies from every wood. I have two solid Korina bodies here: Tele (3lbs 12oz) Soloist (4lbs 06oz), I bought both from the showcase. You can either check the showcase or make a custom order and ask for a light, medium or heavy Korina body.

Any other thoughts on this combo?  This looks interesting and something I could get into. Definitely looking at a Canary / Canary neck....ohh and a P Bass body w/PJ pickups. Maybe binding on the body?? First build and eXcite

Thanks much
Shawn

You have to get up to a 1/2" thick top before you really star to hear the tonal influence on the body.  3/4" tops like LP's are quite noticeable.
So many other factors play in as well, such as the fret wire material, fingerboard, and neck shaft wood selections.

I tend to go bright on the neck, warm on the body, and a reasonably flat eq on the pickups.

Back