to wizard or not to wizard that is the question

beserker

i know it gets thrown out their allot . and in the end the best answer is go to a shop and try out many necks and see for your self..

well with that said
shops around here don't have much of a selection and even then taking some type of measuring device will probably make you look like the guy looking for the perfect egg.

I'm spoiled by my wizard neck and even when i play other dudes guitars  i feel  them too fat.
I in no way have small hands I.m 6 ft  with average sized "man hands"

so let me get to the point i took wood shop and nearly flunked it so finding a measurement chart and seeing for myself is out the window. it might as well be in Chinese 

i"m hoping for blunt honest answers

how thin is the warmoth wizard compared to the many ibanez wizard styles?
and were does Jackson necks fit into that comparison?

is their a chart anywhere on the webernet  that has all of the mentioned neck contours in addition to the warmoth standard thin
on a comparison chart? much like the chart on the warmoth page. and it would be even better if it had the standard thin warmoth as the control subject...
If such chart does not exist I'm willing to be the one to make it

and finally can anyone post thier experiences with the Wolfgang contour.. because it looks really sweet
but i wont judge a book by it's cover..

Edit: anyone know if warmoth heat treats their wood?  To remove moisture

If you're in to the wizard neck you can forget about the wolfgang.  It's a handful.  Very nice neck but it definitely makes the standard thin feel flimsy in comparison, never mind the wizard.

beserker said:
Edit: anyone know if warmoth heat treats their wood?  To remove moisture

It would be more accurate to say the wood is seasoned.  Some woods may be too dry.

I have a wizard neck and LOVE IT!  It is very close to the charvel necks of the 80s.  The radius is slightly more on the higher frets on the WARMOTH neck.

I cannot speak to the IBANEZ necks becuase I have never played them.

Wolfgang feels weird to me...thats just my opinion...

dmraco said:
I have a wizard neck and LOVE IT!   It is very close to the charvel necks of the 80s.  The radius is slightly more on the higher frets on the WARMOTH neck.
I don't own a Warmoth wizard neck.  However thanks to dmraco's comparison I can give this tidbit.  The Ibanez wizard neck is even thinner than a mid 80's Charvel Model 4.

I haven't touched a warmoth wizard, but the website's size comparsion pictures comparing their wizard to a standard thin (I've played a million necks with this contour assuming their standard thin is the same as fender's standard strat neck) looks like less of  difference than from a standard strat neck to my ibanez wizard II neck - this leads me to guess that the warmoth wizard is a fair bit thicker than a wizard II from ibanez. REALLY just a guess though.

I can't comment on the Wizard, but I have a Jackson Soloist SL2H, a Jackson RR3, and a Jackson PS-4.  The standard thin feels very close.

measurments of the Chavel neck ands wizard are identical at both the 1st and 12th frets.

DocNrock said:
I can't comment on the Wizard, but I have a Jackson Soloist SL2H, a Jackson RR3, and a Jackson PS-4.  The standard thin feels very close.

most of the jackson necks...especially the glued...are thicker than the charvel bolt ons form the 80s

I recently played a newer Charvel san dimas and the necks were a little thicker...closer to the standard thin.

AToE said:
I haven't touched a warmoth wizard, but the website's size comparsion pictures comparing their wizard to a standard thin (I've played a million necks with this contour assuming their standard thin is the same as fender's standard strat neck) looks like less of  difference than from a standard strat neck to my ibanez wizard II neck - this leads me to guess that the warmoth wizard is a fair bit thicker than a wizard II from ibanez. REALLY just a guess though.

is the wizard II the thicker ibanez wizard???

if so and a warmoth is even thicker than that  that would put it smack in between a jackson and a regular Ibenez wizard...
sounds perfect

or right maybe in between a Jackson and a regular fender either which i don't like  but a middle ground might be nice..

either way
you gotta love warmoth because it gives you the option to simply buy a different neck and keeep it laying around if your ever decide to switch...
no need for a new guitar and hardware just switch necks... and later put the extra one on a new build : )

You can't ask these questions about the back size and back contour without also keeping nut width, fretboard radius and fret size in mind.

These other three factor change everything about how the neck feels. The same back contour and thickness can feel completely different when you mess with the others.

i don't have a warmoth wizard neck, but i DO have an RG570 with an ibanez wizard neck, and i believe warmoth's is closer to the wizard 2. i've heard it's not quite as thin. but if you've played the wizard and the wizard 2 you know that you definitely can feel the difference, but it doesn't really affect you too much.

i want to know how close the wizard is to the standard thin, since i might be getting one of those soon...

and i don't have small hands by any means either, but the wizard has just always felt "right"  :toothy12: i had to sell my peavey wolfgang because i just couldn't get used to the neck  :-\

For a guy naming himself as "berserker", getting a wizard neck (the epitome of the ladyness in guitar necks) is very funny :p :icon_jokercolor:

(just kidding :laughing7:)

I got a neck being made right now with the wizard contour, will be interesting to compare it to my Jackson Dinky necks...

MagicOPromotion said:
If you plan to be a party based wizard then take a spell school that dumps the conjuration school.

but whatever you do, i personally would never ever ever make a generalist mage unless i wanted to be a master scribe, but even then, how many conjuration or enchantment spells are really worth scribing?
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
Dude, I think you got the wrong forum. The Harry Potter forum is 3 blocks over second door on the left... :icon_scratch:

anyway, back to the question at hand. The "W" wizard isn't as thin as an Iby, but is mighty close to a pre Fender Jackson neck. I can't tell any difference between my Warmoth wizard and my Jackson's. So if you like 'em thin like I do, get a wizard...  :headbang1:

Max said:
Whatever happened to just switching around necks and parts?

It was needed to set that cascade in motion.  :icon_biggrin:  Like a Chinese Firedrill, or, like a game of musical chairs.  :icon_thumright:

Back